This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

This is the only trophy I got from Minnesota Dragways. I really never raced there much and when I did, it was in the money races.

There were 4 other cars in my class that day, but my SS-454 was the quickest. Another car in my class was one of those Scrambler Rambler multi color cars with open headers. After making a few passes, I pinched a tube in one of my slicks so I had to put my L60-15 Concorde Trac-Action street tires back on. I tried getting the car to hook, but I spun like crazy. I was ready to call it a day when my friend Solomon told me not to give up.

I found out that none of the other cars were going to race me for the trophy and that created another problem. The track record was 12.50 so I would have to run within a second of that in order to get my trophy on a single pass. I tried heating the Trac-Actions up, but they spun worse. They called me up for eliminations. I didn't do a big burnout...only cleaned them off. When the tree came down, I left the line at half-throttle and was still spinning. As soon as the tires grabbed, I floored it and clicked it into 2nd. I ended up running a 13.35 and won this trophy. That was cutting it close.

Comment

I found this ticket under the seat of the Chevelle...

Comment

Originally posted by Z28SSMAN View Post

This is the only trophy I got from Minnesota Dragways. I really never raced there much and when I did, it was in the money races.

There were 4 other cars in my class that day, but my SS-454 was the quickest. Another car in my class was one of those Scrambler Rambler multi color cars with open headers. After making a few passes, I pinched a tube in one of my slicks so I had to put my L60-15 Concorde Trac-Action street tires back on. I tried getting the car to hook, but I spun like crazy. I was ready to call it a day when my friend Solomon told me not to give up.

I found out that none of the other cars were going to race me for the trophy and that created another problem. The track record was 12.50 so I would have to run within a second of that in order to get my trophy on a single pass. I tried heating the Trac-Actions up, but they spun worse. They called me up for eliminations. I didn't do a big burnout...only cleaned them off. When the tree came down, I left the line at half-throttle and was still spinning. As soon as the tires grabbed, I floored it and clicked it into 2nd. I ended up running a 13.35 and won this trophy. That was cutting it close.
          Would be about right, I think the track closed the end of '76 then I went to Northstar untill the end of '79 and now have to drive to the rock or bir, Both to long to drive to IMO.

Comment

Yeah, I was was told it was the last day they'd be open.

Comment

Already checked in as a newbe but I really love this thread. The car I drive my dad raced at Northstar all the time. Anyone else have other pics of Northstar. I remember being a kid and seeing the tower from 35W but was closed. Seen and have a bunch from stuff on Minnesota Dragway from my Dad. I'll try and get som up.

Some old stuff of my dads for the older guys on here.

First one i believe is rock falls and the red camaro is BIR 84'

The red Camaro turned into this in the early 90's

Mostly raced Rock falls
              Last edited by bbcmalibu; 01-10-2011, 07:51 PM.

Comment

That psyco car was Lance Coppins if I am not mistaken.

Comment

Were you thinking of Lance Hammy.......spelling is way off here on his last name but you get the idea.

Comment

I stumbled on a gallery of old pics from MN dragways.

These are photographs I took in 1969 and 1970 at Minnesota Dragways in Coon Rapids, MN while I was their photographer and ambulance attendant. Back in those days I used a Minolta SRT-101 camera body with various lenses and various print films.

If anyone knows the identity of of these vehicles or people or notices corrections or additions needed, please let me know via email - Any information is appreciated - I thank you!
                    http://northwoodsimages.com/gallery3...php/Drag-Strip

Some pretty nice cars and quality pictures.
                    Randy
                    www.NorthstarDetailSupply.com
                    Green four door Chevy

Comment

Thank's for the link

Comment

Cool to see Charboneau's wagon and the Cook brothers car.The Cook family has owned the wagon for a while now.First running it in D/S with a 427 and now with a 390 in H/S.

Comment

Classic pictures, Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Yeah, thanks Randy for the pics.

Brings back great memories. I can remember walking through the pits like it was yesterday

Comment

Always on the hunt for info from Amber Green Dragways from 1970 - 1977

Comment

Always on the hunt for info from Amber Green Dragways from 1970 - 1977

Comment

Working...
                                X