Hello from a Chassis Design Fanatic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from a Chassis Design Fanatic

I found this forum by chance while looking up new links of information about chassis designs.

As you may have gathered by the user name, my specialty is original factory X-Frame (Cruciform) frame designs of vehicles. I have been collecting data the past 6 years for an academic book on the subject and just made a post in the Misc - Information Pit folder.

If anyone has questions about the history and design of these type chassis frames from c.1900-present day, feel free to ask.

Eric (X-Frame)

Welcome to TCO, my son and I have a '63 Biscayne with an X frame, driveshaft problems have been a nightmare over the years with the car.

Comment

Originally posted by MR.hp View Post
      Welcome to TCO, my son and I have a '63 Biscayne with an X frame, driveshaft problems have been a nightmare over the years with the car.
      Thanks. I believe I read on the thread I mentioned replying to, that the center bushing would not hold up with repeated high rev accelerations from dead starts - and was a pain to replace since they are buried inside the center tube of the frame.

I am sure you have found that they make Heavy Duty bearing replacements that are rated up to 1,000 HP with Heavy Duty Polyurethane Insulator, and has CNC Machined Billet Aluminum Housing.

Eric (X-Frame)

Comment

I didn't know that part was available. Makes sense. I've heard guys talk about using a one piece driveshaft to solve the problem. Always wondered about how much clearance there'd be doing that.

Comment

The high performance center bearing can be purchased at one place for $140 which is cheaper than keep replacing them. I don't think a solid driveshaft will work well with the center tunnel clearance especially with any torque shift play but I may be wrong? One of the main reasons for the 2-piece was for vibration with the showroom stock cars (smoother ride). Also if you have to remove the solid shaft you will need to drop the rear end to get it out of the tunnel hence the original 2-part design in it.

Comment

HI there

Comment

One other aspect I neglected to mention that is against a solid shaft versus 2-piece on the tubular-center X design is angle. The driveshaft hump was lowered with this design because the two pieces are angled differently.

Comment

Originally posted by fast toys View Post
                HI there
                Hi... well, not yet anyway :smoke:

Comment

I just wanted to add that I have been collecting data for the past 6 years to write a book about the design and development of the X-Braced and Cruciform chassis configuration. I am always gathering photos, diagrams, and illustrations from books, brochures, or personal collections.

The X design has been used for almost as long as cars have been built in various layouts and materials and still used on a production car, the London Taxi TX4.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Eric (X-Frame)

Comment

Working...
                  X