Biscayne VS. Impala

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biscayne VS. Impala

I got into it today with a dude who said his Bone Stock '69 427 390hp would take my '63 Biscayne. After going for a ride with him and then laughing at him [which pissed him off] I went home and got my car.

I said let's find a road and I will put bus lengths on you, So we go from a dig I let him go first [as I am a nice guy] Then blow his ass off the road and it was not pretty, Like 8 to 10 car lengths. He then decides that it would be better if we went from a slow roll and the same outcome, Then it would be better for him at Hwy. Speed same result. I did fail to omit that I was running a 400 SB and he thought it was a 327, Oh well he never asked.

One thing I did learn was that 390hp 427's impalas were pigs in stock form. I guess with an air cleaner that was meant for a 307 was not good for performance.

Oh well a win is a win.

I seen your Firebird last weekend and it's a nice car

Comment

Originally posted by MR.hp View Post
      ....I did fail to omit that I was running a 400 SB and he thought it was a 327, Oh well he never asked. One thing I did learn was that 390hp 427's impalas were pigs in stock form. I guess with an air cleaner that was meant for a 307 was not good for performance....
      So....you let him think that his rat got trounced by a 327?? :lol:He's probably still trying to figure out what the hell is up with that...

Buick also strangled their 455 with a dinky air cleaner snorkel back in '70. You could knock a half-second off the 1/4-mile simply by flipping the air cleaner cover over - and it added damn near 20 MPH to the top-end on some of 'em. Did that to my dad's '70 LeSabre Custom 455 back in the day. I was looking at it one day, and I noticed that the snorkel's opening was hardly any bigger than just one of the secondaries on that 790 CFM Quadrajet! I blipped the throttle while looking at the air cleaner, and noticed that the cover would suck down every time the secondaries opened up. I figured that was not a good thing, so I flipped it over & took it out to my favorite road. Felt like somebody stuffed a stroker in there! Highway mileage went from ~15 to ~18 MPG. It really opened up the top-end on that car.

A MN Trooper once had me on radar @ 153 MPH in that car. He couldn't catch me in his '69 Polara 440 interceptor. My dad was the flying Game Warden, and I knew they shared their radio channel with the State Patrol. Dad was flying, so I got in his car & fired up the radio to see if the Trooper got my plates or not. I heard him talking about it to a fellow Trooper, and he mentioned the speed he had me at before I went out of radar range. He suspected it was me, but didn't get close enough to get the plate number. I got away with it, and figured that I probably used up a lifetime of hot-rodder's luck that day. That was the one & only time that I attempted to out-run a cop. Damn, I really thought I was indestructible back then...

A couple decades later, I was at our local airport getting some AvGas, and I saw this shiny new State Patrol airplane come in. And....out came the cop I outran back in the day. He was MN State Patrol's new "bear-in-the-air". I hadn't seen him since I got out of high-school, and it was kinda like "Damn - haven't seen you for decades - whatcha been up to?" I looked at the Cessna 182 he was flying and said "Denny - I see they finally gave you something that would outrun our old Buick!" He looked at me, and said "You sonofabitch - that was you!" I said "Yup!" He said "Damn...I didn't think that thing could go that fast!" Anyway...we had a good laugh about it.

A few years later, I was BSing with the local airport owner, and here comes that airplane again. This time, I had my GN. When Denny saw it, he asked "You driving that?" I said "Yup!" He asked to see under the hood, and when I showed him, he just said "Holy shit! I'm glad that some kid isn't driving that around." Then he asked me if they're as fast as he'd heard they are. I just said "Faster." And then I said "I'll put it this way - the old Buick wouldn't even have a chance trying to keep up with this one." He was still shaking his head as he walked away....
      Last edited by Fast One; 07-24-2009, 09:08 PM.
      There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

Comment

Ya that was pretty mean to let him think it was 327 but he was pretty cocky and now won't even look at me. LOL Ah he will just have to get over it and realize that some bone stock cars were not that fast, His being one of them. Joel if I would have had this 400 that I own now back in the '70s I would have cleaned up on the local street aorund where I used to live. Boy if we only have known hten what we know now.

Comment

How about your 327 against my 396??

Comment

Originally posted by bbc nova View Post
            How about your 327 against my 396??
            :lol:

Comment

:lol:
              396<427

Comment

.......Joel if I would have had this 400 that I own now back in the '70s I would have cleaned up on the local street around where I used to live.Boy if we only have known then what we know now.
                I remember back in the day....hell, if you had a streeter in the 12s, you were a big dog! Sounds kinda funny, now. If I would have had my GN back then, I would have trounced most of the guys up north. Today, a 12.76 hardly worth mentioning. And a number of family cars can now run better numbers that stock big-block muscle used to run......

And...yeah - I wish that back then I would have known enough to not to part out a friggin' '67 GS 400 ragtop factory 4-speed car! There were only 422 of them. Shit....

Was @ the winking pig earlier in the evening. Weather was going to turn crappy, so I drove the GTP. The Uni scene was kinda slow, I thought, so I left early.
                There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

Comment

hmmm biscayne vs impala.hell i just happen to have an impala..bob????

Comment

Originally posted by ratrod 1 View Post
                    hmmm biscayne vs impala.hell i just happen to have an impala..bob????
                    Ah the old Bisquick ain't so quick anymore and besides it's the kids car now,
                    But I do have a certain camaro that when I drop the 406 back in we could setup a little grudge.

Comment

that we can do..

Comment

Working...
                      X