Green Z wins over Colbalt SS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Z wins over Colbalt SS

I was heading to work Friday with the green Z and some kid pulled up next to me at a light and started talking trash about my car. I told him he needed 4 more cyl. to keep up and called his car a slowbalt. He was pissed so when the light changed to green I slid the clutch out and he went good in 1st gear then I put the hammer down on him and put an easy 4 cars on the little slowbalt. He went by and I gave him a thumbs down and he flipped me off.
    Ahh, a win is a win.:laughing smile:

I do like 4.10 gears in the car as it makes the car pull nice.

Slowbalt? I can picture the thumbs down and the flip off. :laughing smile:

Comment

What class, 'eh? Sounds like he took lessons from the guy in the M5 that wanted to stoplight-race my GN & then flipped me off after I trounced him twice in a row. :rotfl:

FYI - the 2008 & newer Cobalt SS turbo is good for 0-60 in ~5.5 sec & ~13.9 sec @ 103 MPH in the quarter. It's rated at 260 HP @ 5300 RPM & 260 lb-ft of torque @ 2000 RPM. The older blown version is nearly a half-second slower. According to R&T, top-end on the turbo version is drag-limited at 160 MPH. That's a pretty healthy top-end for a sport-compact that does high 13s in the quarter. Chevy also makes a stage 1 kit that bumps the power up to 280 hp & 320 lb-ft, but retains the factory warranty.

Joel
      Last edited by Fast One; 09-07-2013, 04:05 PM.
      There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

Comment

The green car rules:harrel smile:

Comment

Originally posted by Fast One View Post
          What class, 'eh? Sounds like he took lessons from the guy in the M5 that wanted to stoplight-race my GN & then flipped me off after I trounced him twice in a row. :rotfl:

FYI - the 2008 & newer Cobalt SS turbo is good for 0-60 in ~5.5 sec & ~13.9 sec @ 103 MPH in the quarter. It's rated at 260 HP @ 5300 RPM & 260 lb-ft of torque @ 2000 RPM. The older blown version is nearly a half-second slower. According to R&T, top-end on the turbo version is drag-limited at 160 MPH. That's a pretty healthy top-end for a sport-compact that does high 13s in the quarter. Chevy also makes a stage 1 kit that bumps the power up to 280 hp & 320 lb-ft, but retains the factory warranty.

Joel
          I have my '09 up to 321 & 340 now, thanks to ZZ Performance out in Michigan, not bad for a 2 liter... It shut off at 165 (according to speedo going down the Kansas turnpike...) Still wouldn't try and run anyone with it though! Unless were racing in a circle :) Heck my old Camaro was slow compared to today's standards and it would walk the slowbalt.
          www.twintownterrors.com

The Twin Town Terrors are now on Facebook. Like us!

Comment

Killed another SS this morning on the way to work.

Comment

Nice! You've sure been getting a lot of stoplight action lately.

I'm surprised that a Cobalt SS driver would even take on a hopped-up Z - especially if it sounded lumpy sitting at the light. Is the green machine a sleeper?
              There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

Comment

Originally posted by Fast One View Post
                Nice! You've sure been getting a lot of stoplight action lately.

I'm surprised that a Cobalt SS driver would even take on a hopped-up Z - especially if it sounded lumpy sitting at the light. Is the green machine a sleeper?
                Ya Joel, it is a sleeper. Sounds stock, I am not sure if there is anything done to the short block as I bought it this way. All I have done to it is a cutout, CAI and the 4.10's which made the most difference. I went to Roseville tonight and got into a couple of little runs going there. I beatup on another ricer and stayed door to door with a pretty nice 68 Camaro, I think he was a little surprised by an old 4th gen.

Comment

That's cool, Bob. I've always liked sleepers, and I enjoy a good sleeper race story. I bet it goes like a bat outta hell with those 4.10s. Automatic, or stick?

Aside from my '67 GS 400 ragtop & GN, the rest of my performance cars have been sleepers. Back in the 90s, the GN was even a bit of a sleeper. It got a lot of challenges because most guys didn't know what they were yet. Especially those who drove European performance cars & hot rice. But after the Fast & Furious movie with the GN came out, I rarely got challenged anymore.

My 40th anniversary GTP is understated enough that it surprises its share of people. I did the resonator & U-bend delete, put in a K&N filter, and re-programmed the engine & trans. It does 0-60 in ~5.9 sec on a good day, which is around a half-second quicker than stock. It's got a slight burble at idle, but most people don't notice. The blown version of the 40th anny doesn't have any GTP emblems. The only giveaway is the small 'Supercharged' emblem on the side of each heat extractor. But you have to pull up beside me on my right to see it from the driver's seat, and even then it's hard to read unless we're sitting still or you know what you're looking for. And there were only 1,128 blown 40th anny coupes made, so most guys who aren't into Pontiacs think it has the n/a motor.

Not sure why, but the Pontiac seems to attract BMW 3 series & 5.0 Mustang drivers. Had another 3 series challenge me the other day on Hwy 65 north of Blaine. We left on the light. He got me off the line, but I caught him by the time we hit 30 MPH. I was a few lengths ahead by the time we hit 65 MPH, so I backed off. He gave me a dirty look on the way by, and then made a quick right onto a side-street. I don't get it. Somebody challenges you to a race & loses - and then they act like you did something wrong?? WTF???

Joel

Comment

Got a kill on a green modded supercharged Regal GS. He took off first, I cought him in the top of 2nd and that was the end of it for him. He gave me a thumbs up.

Comment

Originally posted by MR.hp View Post
                      Got a kill on a green modded supercharged Regal GS. He took off first, I cought him in the top of 2nd and that was the end of it for him. He gave me a thumbs up.
                      That's how it's supposed to go! Nice kill - especially considering that he left first. I know that some of the guys in the local W-body club have gotten into the low 12s with a crapload of mods - but even with the aftermarket HD transaxle, they tend to break shiny parts when they're laying down that kind of power.

Joel

Comment

Took the Z Monday for a spin. Sure is fun to rive that old car, spins to 6K very easy.

Comment

Working...
                        X