What is your most memorable race at the track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your most memorable race at the track

Mine has to be at BIR in '91 at SNG when the tornado hit the track was the most horrific thing I have ever seen racing. Just seeing those cars flying around like little Hot wheels cars was unbelievable.

Well...two memorable races were beating Marv Jorgensen's drag bike at Northstar or beating the Grocery Getter Nova Wagon there with my SS-454...both were bracket races.

The Grocery Getter had been recently featured in a Hot Rodding type magazine about how to win in bracket racing. The guy who owned it was a respected owner/driver. I think his name was Larry Severson.

Comment

I like Marv but he is a little strange

Comment

I didn't race there but I went to George Rays Wildcat dragstrip in Paragould, Arkansas. It was unlike anything I had ever seen before. You are literally right on top of the action. They use old telephone polls for guard rails and spectators can lean right up against them. Thats all that separates you from the cars. They do have some old rickety wood bleachers that you may fall through if your not careful. The cars themselves race very close to one another. Very little room for error if you get loose. It use to be a 1/4 mile track but now its an 1/8 mile. I got to meet Mr. Ray and talk with him. It was like going back into a time machine at this place.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumpercables View Post
          I didn't race there but I went to George Rays Wildcat dragstrip in Paragould, Arkansas. It was unlike anything I had ever seen before. You are literally right on top of the action. They use old telephone polls for guard rails and spectators can lean right up against them. Thats all that separates you from the cars. They do have some old rickety wood bleachers that you may fall through if your not careful. The cars themselves race very close to one another. Very little room for error if you get loose. It use to be a 1/4 mile track but now its an 1/8 mile. I got to meet Mr. Ray and talk with him. It was like going back into a time machine at this place.
          is that guy still alive?? i would love to go there. i have it on tape, when horspower tv went down there.

Comment

Originally posted by ratrod 1 View Post
            is that guy still alive?? i would love to go there. i have it on tape, when horspower tv went down there.
            As far as I know he still is. When I saw him he was late 80s but seemed in good health for the age. I haven't seen anyplace like his since and probably never will.

Comment

Getting my first 8 second time slip or winning the index cube race at BIR would have to be my best moments!

Comment

Originally posted by tls90lx View Post
                Getting my first 8 second time slip or winning the index cube race at BIR would have to be my best moments!
                8 sec. run would be a very good memorable moment.

Comment

Originally posted by MR.hp View Post
                  Mine has to be at BIR in '91 at SNG when the tornado hit the track was the most horrific thing I have ever seen racing. Just seeing those cars flying around like little Hot wheels cars was unbelievable.
                  After winning the 87 and 89 $ eliminators and being a regular bracket guy up there,I was asked to stay away from the S&G.I was cool with that.But sit'n on Bay Lake that night see'n the weather and listening to the radio I got'a admit I did kind of flip the nanner switch.The next weekend was a regular race and to see the distruction was unreal.Felt bad for the folks that had there shit wrecked.

Comment

Beasley?

Comment

my hood go flying off.

Comment

n20 bakfire fireball shooting over my hood

Comment

How Buckweat say my name.

Beasley?
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...