Drag strips that you have raced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drag strips that you have raced

I was just wondering what drag strips people have raced what they liked about the track, their experiences.
    I started racing at Grove creek 1/8 mile, decent track, but last year we tried to race there but the timing clocks where broke sat there till 2:00 than they told us to go home, that sucked.
    Cedar Falls Raceway 1/4 mile, I have ran my best time at this track, good traction, nice pit area, camping.
    Thunder Valley Dragway 1/4 mile, The drive to South Dakota was pretty good, the track was good, at the end there is a big hill so the first time you don't know what to expect, but there is plenty of shut down, pits are nice, camping is good, track is real good to the racers there, if you go out in round one they let you run test and tune the rest of the day.
    Rockfalls Raceway 1/4 mile, I have had traction problems here, nice track, good shut down area, pits are nice, no camping.
    90 5.0 GT New combo
    11.84 @ 113 1.64 60' Dynoed 428hp 419tq Dyno Vid Dyno sheet

Not ranked in preference order

1. Rock Falls. This is the best local track for me. They run 'em off faster than Brainerd. The traction on Fun Days is not very good though at least not for my Camaro with 17" DR's. I can get there from Plymouth in less than 2 hrs. Plus you get to see how a lot of locals perform. The people who talk about how much of a rip-off this track is are probably the same ones who will whine about there's no place to race if shuts down....just like the people who whined about Northstar and wouldn't race there and look what happened.
    2. Brainerd. This used to be my favorite track when Dave Ames and later Bob VanHouten were managers. They made me feel welcome and made it worth my while to want to go there. After the Colonel took over, things changed and I haven't been back. Traction hasn't been an issue there. They putz around too much. It wasn't uncommon to get one run at 9 am, then one at early afternoon and one by the end of the day.
    3. Grove Creek. I haven't raced there since Ted Smith owned it. I liked Ted, but the place seemed thrown together. Running off into pea rock for a shutdown area, sitting on boards on top of blocks wasn't my idea of a way to spend my day racing. Probably not fair since it sounds like it has drastically improved.
    4. Cedar Falls. Good 1/4 mile track. Everybody talks about the house of hook, but neither of my cars have ET'd better there than at Brainerd or RF. The facility isn't as good as RF either and it takes me twice as long to get there. They also don't run cars off any faster than RF.
    5. Beech Bend (Bowling Green, KY). This is an frickin unbelievable track (1/4 mile, but mainly run 1/8 mi at bracket events). I let my brother make a couple passes in my SS-454, and he was lifting the tires off the ground just testing the car after the burnout. I used to go to the $10,000 per day races and they gave my Chevelle nothing but compliments, even though it wasn't even as quick as the big guys.
    6. Great Lakes Dragway (Union Grove, WI). Great 1/4 mi nostalgic track. Ran My 11.80's down there with the Camaro. Real good facility. People treat you well. I want to go back.
    7. I-57 Dragway. Old fashioned 1/8 mile track in Southern Ill off I-57 in West Frankfort. Great traction. People used to sit on the fences and scream and yell as the races were going on.
    8. Sikeston Dragway (Sikeston Mo). 1/8 mi. I went there for a test day and pulled up to the pay booth. I asked how much it was and he said in a southern drawl--"that'll be $8 dowlars". I asked where the tech was and he said "you just go on up thar and run all you wont" lol. Spectators sit within a few feet from the starting line.
    9. Thunder Valley Sioux Falls, SD. Great traction. Right after the finish line, you actually do go up a hill to slow you down. The pics of my '71 SS-454 in are from this track. Was a B.I.R Division 5 Tourney in 1980.
    10. National Trail (Hebron/Columbus, OH) Interesting 1/4 track. Beautiful tower. Ok facility. Traction absolutely sucked.
    11. Memphis Motorsports Park (Millington, TN) I go there each year for Super Chevy in April. Great track if you like to race in front of stands filled with spectators. Great traction until they bring out the Jet Cars. The afterburners burn off the sticky surface. If you've never been to a Super Chevy event, I recommend this one. The D.O.T. drags (mufflers) are 1/4 mile, 1/8 mi is open exhaust and slicks. Gamblers, buybacks, Chicago Outlaws, car show, swap meet, all kinds of major vendors. Don Garlits usually has his booth there. There are more vendors there than at a NHRA National Event and food food and more food.
    12. Northstar (see nostalgia lane)
    13. Minnesota Dragways

Comment

Thunder Valley and Grove Creek. I have to agree with you fastkeen. They are nice tracks. I have been up to BIR but I havent raced up the yet. Really wanna get up there.

Comment

ROCK FALLS, nice track
        Brainerd, great track
        grove creek, nice for a close track and eighth mile
        thunder valley, ok track, middle of nowhere, not a big fan of the place
        humbolt iowa, SHIT HOLE!!! never been back, never will go back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5aBGVPVe0g

Comment

Grove creek- hate that ****en place for reasons explained by fastkeen

Humbolt IA- I still have a rain delay slip from 1997. Only made one pass

Brainard- Probably a good track but sucks balls on show and go and muscle car weekends. Wait and wait around.. Boring...!!

Rockfalls- had good luck there but they milk you there for every run, traction is hit and miss depending on Fun days and reg race days.

Cedar falls - my favoite track nice camping decent racing easy to get to once you hit 35w.

Thunder Valley nice track, good camping, good to the racers and reasonable cost. Only bad thing it takes forever to get there. I like the hill on the end.. Sweet.....!

Comment

North Star Dragway
            Brainard International Raceway
            Rock Falls
            Cedar Falls
            Grove Creek

Charolette Speedway NC, (Lowes) Ooops, that's a NASCAR track, What? it was GREAT! Richard Petty Driving Experience. If you have not done it, you should, it's a blast...

Comment

Bir - for the partying and some racing
              Cedar falls - cuz of the quality tech
              Rock falls - Love the left lane for the ski slope over the hill if you lose your brakes

Comment

I've only raced at Grove Creek so far. While it was fun, I also thought it was quite bumpy. And my Nitto drag radials grabbed better on the street than there

Looking forward to trying another track or two this summer hopefully

Comment

Originally posted by ReRod View Post
                  I've only raced at Grove Creek so far. While it was fun, I also thought it was quite bumpy. And my Nitto drag radials grabbed better on the street than there

Looking forward to trying another track or two this summer hopefully
                  You know we are going to Thunder on memorial weekend right?

Pete, fastkeen and myself so far.

Comment

Originally posted by speedo View Post
                    You know we are going to Thunder on memorial weekend right?

Pete, fastkeen and myself so far.
                    I wish I had enough vacation to go along. I have Memorial Day itself off but you guys will probably be headed home by then? I have to work that Fri, Sat, and Sunday though

Comment

Originally posted by ReRod View Post
                      I wish I had enough vacation to go along. I have Memorial Day itself off but you guys will probably be headed home by then? I have to work that Fri, Sat, and Sunday though
                      Just go to the races and call in sick.
                      Not that I've done that or anything.....

Comment

I can't believe none of you guys mention Tri-State in Earlville, IA. That is by far the best track around. All Concrete, maximum downhill slope (allowed by NHRA), good pits, and excellent people. You should all check it out some time.

http://www.tristateraceway.com/

It's only about a 4 hour drive.

Comment

Yea I heard that you just have to roll into the burnout box as well.

Hoping to get down there this year was thinking of doing a Friday night thing at CFR and then pulling out in the am for Tristate....

Comment

Originally posted by speedo View Post
                            Yea I heard that you just have to roll into the burnout box as well.

Hoping to get down there this year was thinking of doing a Friday night thing at CFR and then pulling out in the am for Tristate....
                            Yeah their staging lanes are downhill right up to the water. It's one of my favorite tracks in the country!! I've been to alot of tracks. No Problem Raceway in Louisiana is also an excellent track with the racers in mind. Little bit of a pull though. :rotfl:

Comment

Yea prob won't make it to that track

10mpg pulling x 3$ a gallon.... = poorhouse

Would be interesting to see the ET difference at sea level and here although..

Comment

Working...
                              X