Announcement

Collapse

Posting Pictures

This Announcement is about poting pictures that may be copyrighted. If you post a picture on TCO that picture is yours, But we reserve the right to use it on out site by any member in any forum section.
If you believe that you have a copyright on your picture please note that you must also get permission from the person of him or here to put them up on the internet.
See more
See less

My '71 SS-454

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My '71 SS-454

very nice, when ya gonna race it again?????

Comment

Originally posted by 98 cobra s/c View Post
      very nice, when ya gonna race it again?????

I dunno, it's becoming too valuable and I'm too cautious with it.

Comment

That's one of my favorite pics!

I haven't been around for a while but last I heard Zman was working on a little project for the old '71. That thing should sound a little bit like... "WWsssssssssssSHt, wwwwwsssssssSht" this next year.

Comment

For 1971, there were two SS packages. One was the SS-454, and the other was simply the "SS" (available with either the 402, 350-4, or 350-2 engine). The unusual "Malibu 400" package was also available on the non-SS Chevelle and El Camino. It utilized the LS3 402 motor.
          New for '71 was a "Heavy Chevy" package which featured special decals and some SS equipment. While the SS was based upon the Malibu, the Heavy Chevy was based upon the base Chevelle model, which had less trim. The Heavy Chevy could be ordered with any V8 engine except a 454. Like the Malibu 400 cars, many Heavy Chevys have been converted to SS clones. The VIN on a '71 Heavy Chevy starts with 13437, while the VIN on a V8 Malibu or SS coupe starts with 13637.
          The compression ratio on all GM engines was lowered to 8.5:1. 188 Corvettes were built with the 425 horsepower LS6 motor in '71. There have been rumors that a few LS6 Chevelles were built in '71, but these have all been proven to be false. The LS5 454 motor in the '71 Chevelle and El Camino was now rated 5 horsepower HIGHER than it was a year earlier, even though the compression ratio was lowered. This was accomplished partly by redesigning the heads. The increase was also a result of the overly conservative rating (in the Chevelle) of the previous year's LS5.
          If the SS-454 package was ordered, the fenders (and tailgate on El Caminos) would sport "SS/454" emblems. If the 402 or 350 engine was ordered with the SS package, then there would simply be "SS" emblems all the way around (but no external engine size designation). The El Camino SS generally did NOT have any "SS" emblems on the door panels.
          The SS hood was the same as in '70. The Cowl Induction package was still available. It was, however, not promoted as much as in '70. As a result, far fewer Cowl Induction equipped vehicles were produced in '71 than in '70. There is some conflicting information, but it appears that that the Cowl Induction package was only available with the 454 in '71.
          The '71 SS came with 15" five-spoke rally wheels. These wheels were painted silver, with trim rings and center caps. These wheels are similar to those found on mid-70s Z28 Camaros. The latter 70's Z28 wheels were very similar, but the spokes were a bit flatter.
          Another unusual vehicle was introduced in 1971. It was the GMC version of the El Camino called the GMC "Sprint". There were about 5600 Sprints produced in '71. Compared to the '71 El Camino production of over 40,000 the '71 Sprint is fairly rare in any form. There was an "SP" package available for the Sprint that had the same basic equipment as the El Camino SS. Only 249 '71 SPs were built. There was even an "SP-454" package available. In fact, it was also possible to order the Sprint with Cowl Induction, tachometer, bucket seats, positraction, etc. It is estimated that about 25 were ordered with the 454 and about 16 with Cowl Induction.

Comment

Comment

Chevelle looks bad ass!

Comment

Originally posted by Fotoboy View Post
                Chevelle looks bad ass!
                Thanks

My brother bought it new and I bought it from him in '74. It's a numbers matching car, although I only have one of the original cyl heads. It needs restoring, because I had it repainted the factory color in '78 and the technology obviously isn't what it is today.

I figure it would prolly cost around $30K to do it right. It looks good enough for now...I'll leave it alone and stored away.

I did a drive-thru with it down at Porkys last summer.

Comment

Comment

I like the Camaro but the Chevelle will always be king.

Comment

Buh-Bye

Comment

Originally posted by Z28SSMAN View Post
                        Nice ride What's the bracket for? (the one just to the left of the cowl induction emblem)

Comment

Thanks.

I had a mechanical fuel pressure gauge there. It was a dumb move and I never had the time to totally remove the bracket.

Comment

Kinda what I had figured but I thought I'd ask just to be sure. Looks like a fun car though!

Comment

What does it (or did it) run Glenn? More details!

Comment

Working...
                              X