Announcement

Collapse

Posting Pictures

This Announcement is about poting pictures that may be copyrighted. If you post a picture on TCO that picture is yours, But we reserve the right to use it on out site by any member in any forum section.
If you believe that you have a copyright on your picture please note that you must also get permission from the person of him or here to put them up on the internet.
See more
See less

Rare SJ Grand Prix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare SJ Grand Prix

http://www.streetfire.net/video/moto...-sj_704992.htm

God those cars had an ugly front end.

Comment

Wow. A '70 SJ! The father of one of my high-school friends had one of those. Was the only one in town. My friend & I used to take it out once in awhile. That car was damn fast for a stocker back then. Had it up to ~150 MPH (clocked between mile-markers). Was almost as fast as my dad's '70 LeSabre Custom 455 with the plains axle.

Joel
      There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

Comment

Cool car. I remember going with my Dad truck shopping. I think it was Arrow Pontiac late in 1967. On the show room floor was a 1968 black SJ with an automatic. 428 badges an black interior,but then was that dash,I thought that was the coolest thing about that car. Hay,I was 14.
        Drag Racing,just you,me,and the tree!!

Comment

Very cool. Love those old Pontiacs.

Comment

Originally posted by Fast One View Post
            Wow. A '70 SJ! The father of one of my high-school friends had one of those. Was the only one in town. My friend & I used to take it out once in awhile. That car was damn fast for a stocker back then. Had it up to ~150 MPH (clocked between mile-markers). Was almost as fast as my dad's '70 LeSabre Custom 455 with the plains axle.

Joel
            Yeah, I guess I didn't realize how well those cars ran on top end. I don't think they'd rev more than 5200 though and didn't need to due to enormous crank journals made for torque. Still, that LeSabre with a 2.56 axle was quite the top end cruiser even with its boxy shape. Your mile marker timing probably wasn't too far off.

I think those big Buicks used an H-78 tire which probably was around 28" diameter.

My '71 SS-454 with the F-60-15 tire (about 25.5" dia) couldn't run as fast because the stock cam wasn't good for more than about 5500 and it had a 3.31 gear, so that would put it at just short of 130. The speedometer would wrap back to almost zero but we knew it wasn't running that fast.

Here are a couple interesting top speed charts...

http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/pote...alculator.html

http://www.catherineandken.co.uk/sti/tyres.html

Comment

"Why not get out thar and dew wut it's s'posed ta dew"

Comment

Working...
              X