Hi-Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lake St

It's late '77 am I'm out for a late nite cruise in the SS-454. My car was deceptively quick for a street car of that time. It ran 12.40's and on the street had a holeshot that allowed me to beat cars that ran quicker than that at the track.

It's about 11pm and I'm minding my own business when a '57 Chev 2dr Post pulls along side of me. I really wasn't looking for a race and was paranoid about getting a ticket. I had pushed my luck that summer and just had that feeling my luck was about to run out. This guy would not leave me alone. His car was just the opposite of mine. His was loud, a stick shift and jacked up in the rear. Mine...a nice low stance, quiet mufflers and a TH400.

We ended up hitting a stoplight at Cedar and Lake. I figured this was the best place to play with him. I couldn't see anything behind us and in either direction on Cedar, plus there was a graveyard on the left for the next 2 blocks. There was only one side street 1 block away on the right where a squad may sit, but I figured I'd take those odds. I pull the horseshoe stick back into low...the light turned green and I waited for him to make his move. I hear him jump on his, so I ease my throttle a little over 1/2 way just enough to keep my car about a fender ahead of his then clicked it into 2nd. He's revving the piss out of his and banging gears. All of a sudden...red lights come out of nowhere! He turns into Hi-Lake and they pull in behind him. I go to the next turn and head home. Whew!

A week or so later, I pull into a Clark gas station around 42nd and Nicollet and there's the same '57. He walks out and I asked him if his '57 was fast and if he would like to race for a few bucks. He looked at me and said "IT'S YOU!!!...You're the guy I raced on Lake St!!!" He went on to say how they busted him and let me go. I asked him again if he wanted to race for a few bucks and how I thought it would be a close race. He said no frickin way man...you were playing with me that night and you're not suckering me and taking my money. I told him I was givin it all she had and he said he knew better. lol

Comment

O.K. this is just a story, but it was on Cedar ave just off Lake Street.
      There were a few times I had a chance to say "GOOD MORNING" to the ZMan this way :lol:
      I would take that route to the dealership where I was working at the time, and quite often I would go past the store where the Z-mister was entering to open for buisness, when I was lucky enough to catch him on the step unlocking the door, I would let him see just what kind of power my Green Machine had, this was a slightly used 1971 AMC Gremlin, a powerful straight six 1barrel carb, 3 speed car, he started a few of his days out laughing his ass off :lol: when I would light up the tires filling the street with smoke

It was always fun to say HI that way, we would do simular things when we were in our other cars when we see some one we knew, 2nd gear bark, froggies.

I'm not sure but I may have intimidated him with that car, he never did ask if I wanted to run his Chevelle :rotfl:

Comment

LOL

I had forgotten about the smokeys. Lots of insanity back then.

I dunno...I guess I never had an urge to race against your Camaro. I was too busy trying to outrun the bad guys.

After all these years, the more I hear about it the more impressed I am about it. That car actually was a strong runner. Hell I don't ever remember even getting a ride in it.

Comment

I ment, you were "scurred" of the Gremlin :lol:

I would have had fun running your Chevelle, the Camaro was a fun car but you would'a had me covered and I'm not sure but I don't think you got a ride in it either.
          (first thing to go is your memory, I don't remember what the second one is???????????)
          Last edited by Titan5; 02-03-2008, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X