Warren Johnson beginnings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warren Johnson beginnings

Just thought this was cool.. copied from Drag Racing online http://www.dragracingonline.com/firsttime/ii_2.html

It was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away . . . no, wait, that's another story. Actually, it was a long time ago — 1963, as I recall. And the place was a long way from the center of the universe, too: Minnesota Dragway.

The world was a very different place in 1963. The Beatles were a British club band, a first-class postage stamp cost four cents, and the Cold War was hotter than a header pipe. I was a typical "Weekend Warrior" with a full-time job, a hot rod '57 Chevy, a new wife, and a baby boy.

I never went to the drag races as a spectator. After all, it was a 200-mile trek to the nearest track. My interest in organized drag racing may have been sparked by a few speeding tickets on the street. I've always been a frugal person, and I certainly appreciated the prospect of racing without the additional expense of traffic court.

I grew up on a farm in the Iron Range. When something broke, we fixed it. I learned about engines and mechanical devices by repairing farm equipment. I transferred that interest in mechanics to my hot rod. I also discovered that I enjoyed the competition of building a car that was faster than my rivals' machines.

Several of my friends raced, and one day I simply decided to load up the family car and join them. My wife Arlene held our son Kurt in her arms while I drove to the drag strip. When we finally arrived, we had plenty of work to do before making the first run. I had to remove the differential from the rearend and replace it with one with a numerically higher gear ratio. I also slipped in a new pair of axles as insurance. If I broke an axle — and I often did — at least I'd have a spare to get us back home!

My first "serious" race was a Division 5 points race where I finished as runner-up in Street eliminator. My '57 Chevy competed in the C/Modified Production class, and ran low 13 -second elapsed times. It really was a street car, and it was a real heavyweight — I think it tipped the scales at 3,600 pounds. It had a 327-cubic-inch Chevy small-block, a cross-ram intake manifold, and a roller cam. Most of the hotshots had four-speed transmissions, but I could only afford a Packard three-speed.

I used a regular 10-bolt Chevy rearend, a design that was not exactly noted for its durability under the stress of drag racing. I figured out how to keep the ring and pinion gears from breaking, but I'd shear the ring gear bolts regularly. We didn't have the luxury of a truck or trailer, so I had to repair whatever broke before we could drive home and get to work on Monday morning.

In the beginning, I raced to satisfy my ego. I wanted to prove that I could build a faster hot rod than my buddies. Years later I realized that racing could also support my family. I became a professional racer in 1975, and this year I'm celebrating my Silver Anniversary in Pro Stock. It's hard to believe it all began with a '57 Chevy at Minnesota Dragway!

That's pretty cool and I met Warren once. A freind of mine said he knew Warren when he lived in fridley mn so I said BS and he said let's go over there. So we get to the house by freind knocks on the door Warren answers and says "What do you want". He told Warren that his friend wanted to see the shop Warren said I am busy and slammed the door in his face. I laughed pretty hard and said "You know Warren pretty well" my freind never said anything about warren after that.

I did meet him at one of the old Freindly chev bench race days and Warren was pretty cool to talk to. Humm....Should have asked if he remembered that day.:rlol:

Comment

Working...
    X