Looking for this Henry J

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for this Henry J

New here, joined because I wanted to see if I could find out anything about this Henry J. The photo is from 1970 and supposedly at Minnesota Dragways. I know the guy who owned it like 20-30+years ago and he was talking about it the other day and wished he never got rid of it. Just want to see if it is still out there or whatever happened to it. Any info would help. Thanks.

That's a cool Henry J, but I don't remember it.

Thanks for joining. Hope you can share a few memories.

Comment

Kind of looks like one my grandpa had in the 60s
      5.55@126
      8.67@155
      www.tntraceshop.com

Comment

Well the guy I know who used to own it has 2 photos of it on his garage wall but I randomly came across this one while looking for old drag car photos. I found this one on some website and it said "Turnquist's Henry J". Maybe someone recognizes the name?

Comment

There was a guy who used to race on up at BIR back in the 80's. I will have to go look at the tape (if I still have it) to see if it's on there.

Comment

The guy your talking about might be the guy I know who used to own it. I think he said he traded it for his 1970 1/2 z28 camaro that he has and still races up at BIR. Not sure if he used to race the henry, just know he used to own it.

Comment

Still looking for this car. Found out some more info on it. It was owned by a guy with the last name Turnquist when the guy I know saw it sitting in his backyard in Anoka and bought it for $400 I believe is what he said. It had a hilborn injected small block and the rear end was an old olds/pontiac rear end that was solidly mounted under the car with no suspension. It had a tilt front end with straight axle. Also it was set up kind of like a funny car as you sat in the middle of it towards the back and the roll bar came down by your shoulders. Supposedly it's sitting at a junkyard here in MN. When I figure out which one I'm going to head out there to try and find it. Any more info would be helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by 1970malibu View Post
                Still looking for this car. Found out some more info on it. It was owned by a guy with the last name Turnquist when the guy I know saw it sitting in his backyard in Anoka and bought it for $400 I believe is what he said. It had a hilborn injected small block and the rear end was an old olds/pontiac rear end that was solidly mounted under the car with no suspension. It had a tilt front end with straight axle. Also it was set up kind of like a funny car as you sat in the middle of it towards the back and the roll bar came down by your shoulders. Supposedly it's sitting at a junkyard here in MN. When I figure out which one I'm going to head out there to try and find it. Any more info would be helpful.
                You should try Windy Hills.

Comment

If this is the same guy. He was in the beater boys display at the GSTA show. I could've sworn he told me he did find it at a junkyard and it was way beyond repair. I could be remembering wrong though.
                  www.twintownterrors.com

The Twin Town Terrors are now on Facebook. Like us!

Comment

You mean the Tunquist guy found it or someone else found it?

Comment

You mean the Tunquist guy found it or someone else found it?
                      This is all IF we are talking about the same car first off. Second this is based on me understanding what I was told. I was selling shirts at the GSTA show just kitty corner from the Beater Boys display. Our woodie was the next stall down from them (across from me). Next down was a green Dodge Daytona. One of the owners of one of the cars in the Beater Boys display (forgot his name sorry) came over and we had a real nice talk. We talked about gassers, me possibly doing a gasser shirt, me possibly doing a Henry J shirt, maybe using a Henry J as the gasser on the shirt, he used to own a gasser Henry J, it was his first car or first race car or something really sentimental about it (I'm trying to remember the best I can). We both then walked over to his car and he pulled a photo album out of the trunk of his car. He started showing me pics of 'his' Henry J. Those pics look a lot like this one you are showing. He told me that he wishes to get it back someday, would love to know where it was, wished he never gave it up, but then later in the conversation I could have sworn he said something about finding it in a junkyard and it was completely shot. Maybe I misunderstood something or misheard him somewhere in there...
                      www.twintownterrors.com

The Twin Town Terrors are now on Facebook. Like us!

Comment

Well I found out some more about the car. Found one for sale on craigslist and sent a photo of the car asking if this is what his used to look like as the one he was selling was mostly in primer. While the car he was selling is not the one I am looking for he replied with this email.

"That is my old car! I owned it from 1980(I think) to 1984, I got it in trade on a 1940 Ford PU as a basket case and put it together again with a BBC /T400. Scariest ride I ever owned. An absolute ping pong ball down the track. I talked to the guy that built it at the Pantowners show (My club) and told him he had more guts than me to race that widow maker. I sold it to French lake auto parts and supposedly was then sold to a guy in Duluth and received a caddy motor. Alway regretted selling that car and have been looking for it ever since, not so much to drive it but for the lost history. I'd love to hear that something was actually done with it. Its been long gone from French Lake, a decade or more. I asked about any records or info of where it went and they did not and do not keep any of that info. Not much help at all actually and I know the family real well. I got it from John Kapsner nicknamed "Huntz" in St Cloud, but as it had no title I have no records either. I know it was a scary car with a Aluminum cover over the motor that would not hold BB shot much less motor shrapnel. The rear end was welded to plates which were in turn bolted to the chassis. The trans motor plate was drilled for many bell housing bolt patterns and so many combo's were or could be used. It used a center steer system w a sprint car box. Probably high tech for its time. but the car would not pass tech now. I wanted to build a street car out of it but my skills back then were not good enough to tackle that car with its racing mods/damage. The cowl was cut out for the injectors with a drastic engine setback as well as no firewall."

So it looks like the car is still out there somewhere. I see there is one for sale on craigslist right now in watertown with a caddy motor but I have not heard back from the guy yet. Good to know that it still might be out there. Will keep everyone posted if I find out more about it.

Comment

Interesting stuff

Comment

I tried to buy that car in the 80s. It was sitting in the fence at french Lake Auto Parts. But when I showed Up with the money they said it was traded for the work they were having done to the main biulding at the time. It got a full chassis but was lightly crashed then fixed. They guy crashed it after he just got his comp license that weekend. Great guy and I belive hes still running it in supergas. Medium to light blue with yellow and orange lettering. Hope Im remebering this correctly. I do remeber it had a really setback engine and the driver sat in the middle of the car.

Comment

Are you talking about Laburda from Hibbing?Kool Henry.If so,I saw the mishap and it was not good.The car left the line abit out of shape and in the shutdown with the car unloaded it took to the wall.I thought I saw him on the list for S/G and S/C this weekend at BIR.http://kellyandersen.smugmug.com/Oth...503266_tqcFfPR Picture 92 for the Henry J
                              Last edited by 57 300; 08-19-2011, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X