Your First Time Drag Racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your First Time Drag Racing

Opening day,Minnesota Dragway,1972. Canceled because of snow.Damn! The next weekend,Twincity. The car was a 1965 Ford Fairlane,289 4sp 2bbl,4.11 gears open rear end. Stuck me in Q/S. First time trial,missed 2nd gear! ET 17.77 at 77mph. Shifter mount counter sink bolts came lose on the Hurst shifter mount. Fixed that,and ran a 16.1 at 89mph. Won class,and set record and got a trophy! My eldest son was born 2 days before. He turned 39 last week.Taking him home from the hospital, St Johns just off of 7th,I got in a street race with a yellow 68 Firebird 326 going down 7th.Kicked his butt,wife was not happy. She got over it,I think.
    Drag Racing,just you,me,and the tree!!

My first time was at the rock with the Cobra, 13.10 was the best it would do bone stock.

Comment

my first race was in my cobra at gateway. i lined up with a rusted camaro i'm pretty sure was a LT1. i messed up by waiting until the light was green and the camaro was about 2 cars out on me. i reved the piss out of mine and still wasn't pullin on him until i saw his left tire smokin pretty bad. i just about caught him but still lost. he ran a 13.70 to my 13.59 and i frickin lost. when i came back to the pits he and his buddys came over and started laughing at my cobra and called it slow for a 32 valve car. i told him them they were a chevy version of the tcstangers in minnesota
      Last edited by Quadroflux; 04-20-2011, 11:21 AM.
      the victim had semen on his trousers

Comment

My first time at the track was way back in '75 at North Star when I raced my '63 Bicayne with a 348 tri-power 4spd car. Ran 13.78 with it then. Sold the 348 put in some big dollar 327 that a guy sold me and it turned out to be a dud.

The next time I went out was with my '68 Caprice it went 17.30, Was not that way for long. Within 2 years that car ran in the 12's and I was beating up a lot on the local crowd untill I sold the car in '81. Sure do miss that car.

Comment

First time for me was at the Show and Go up in Brainerd in '91. My dad made two passes in it and then entered it in for the trophy class. He turned around and said your racing it. Sweet! I just got my license!!! I ended up winning the whole darn thing. My first race entered and I won. We got a trophy, a plaque, and a video/photo shoot done by Champion Auto that aired on their show they used to have on Sunday mornings.
          www.twintownterrors.com

The Twin Town Terrors are now on Facebook. Like us!

Comment

Oh! forgot to mention. The car ran 14 flat at a 100 mph. I think one round it ran 13.99 at a 100mph. Must have staged shallow on that one...
            www.twintownterrors.com

Comment

Originally posted by TwinTownTerror View Post
              First time for me was at the Show and Go up in Brainerd in '91. My dad made two passes in it and then entered it in for the trophy class. He turned around and said your racing it. Sweet! I just got my license!!! I ended up winning the whole darn thing. My first race entered and I won. We got a trophy, a plaque, and a video/photo shoot done by Champion Auto that aired on their show they used to have on Sunday mornings.
              Ah cool, I was there racing that weekend at Show and Go, They should have called it Show and Blow after the tornado went through the track friday night.
              They almost canceled the race because of it. I think I stil have video of that. I will have to look as see. I ran 12.0s with my car that weekend.

Were you racing the wagon that day?

Comment

Originally posted by MR.hp View Post
                Ah cool, I was there racing that weekend at Show and Go, They should have called it Show and Blow after the tornado went through the track friday night.
                They almost canceled the race because of it. I think I stil have video of that. I will have to look as see. I ran 12.0s with my car that weekend.

Were you racing the wagon that day?

I just spent an hour trying to convert the video myself!

No he sold that wagon a looooong time ago! Before I was born. I wish he still had it!!! I spent some time looking for it and from the info I gathered it is demolished. I did find a guy back in the early 90's that said he had one of the front fenders with the flames hanging in his garage. I lost his info though. They sold the Fiat to the Noard Bros. in the early 70's to build a blown hemi bantam altered. That car is still around being run by Greg Benson. He has a big wedge in it and it runs like a raped ape!

I was driving his '39 Ford Tudor Sedan that he built a few years earlier.

Last edited by TwinTownTerror; 04-25-2011, 10:58 PM.
                www.twintownterrors.com

Comment

Drove my dads 59 corvette at the Rock. Went 11.605 and just about wet my self!
                  Went from 1st gear to neutral in the burnout box? Reverse pattern. Sorry dad.

Comment

Wow! That's one nice '59!

Comment

NorthStar in 78.The car had transmision problems and only ran 14.40's.I wasn't on the brakes soon enough and dang near pissed my self with the trees come'n up fast and take'n that hard right at a rate of speed that caused my drivers door handle to scream.........Geez Twin Town,even the driveway is shiney

Comment

Originally posted by 57 300 View Post
                        Geez Twin Town,even the driveway is shiney
                        Just got done washing the car!
                        www.twintownterrors.com

Comment

Found these of me racing my Camaro at the Rock in '93...

If you look real close you can see the yellow is still turning off with the green on and wheels in the air. My first and only perfect light to date (foot braking to boot), broke out by .001, final round.

Too bad the wall is in the way... Looks like a good wheelie!!!
                          www.twintownterrors.com

Comment

Nice Camaro launch!

Comment

I had to take a second look at that last pic. I thought it might
                              have been me in the near lane.

My 67 GTX
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Trailerguy; 03-23-2012, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X