Who Remembers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Remembers

Dave Young and Wally Higby? Like them or not,they were good. Last time I raced Young,I red lighted.
    Drag Racing,just you,me,and the tree!!

Yeah, I remember both of them. For a few years, they were a force in bracket racing.

A friend and previous co-worker from 10,000 Auto, Scott Carlson had Dave Young race his '64 Polara convert.

It's funny you'd mention "like them or not".

Neither have said or done anything negative directly to me, but like many racers from Northstar, it is highly likely they were not happy with me. As always, I ruffled quite a few feathers.

The last time I saw Higby was at Cedar Falls, I think he had broken a rod. I have to give him credit for being that successful with only one arm. I heard he was a veteran.

Comment

They are both horriable people.:laughing smile:Wally lost his arm as a kid to cancer.I don't think he was in the service Z.Nether one of them are as capable as Joe Demarias.
      Last edited by 57 300; 01-23-2012, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Torino at Northstar

The car is owned by a friend of mine.My buddy,Dave Young and myself met at Fong's to discuss the sale a couple of years back.
        Attached Files

Comment

I first saw Wally at Northstar in 1978 and when I saw a guy as good as he was with a handicap racing and winning like he did I was very impressed. Nice guy to talk to also as I remember.

Comment

Likewise HP.Same Nova I believe running as a SS/LA.Wally's efforts over the years have been awsome.He may be the leader in round wins at Brainered.
            Last edited by 57 300; 01-24-2012, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 57 300 View Post
              They are both horriable people.:laughing smile:Wally lost his arm as a kid to cancer.I don't think he was in the service Z.Nether one of them are as capable as Joe Demarias.
              Joe was a legend, no doubt. I remember at Northstar, he had been known as the guy to beat and had just won $3k at Byron. To win $3k bracket racing back in the '70s was awesome...in fact that's a nice purse today.

Anyway, I came around the corner to the staging area in my SS-454 and he was the first in line. I went "oh crap" and put on brakes thinking I didn't want to line up against him and lose 1st round. My brother was in the car with me and was pissed that I was intimidated by Joe. He said "you pull up beside him and you'd better cut a light and beat him or you're gonna have to deal with me!"

I crept up beside him and he immediately came back to my car. As he pulled up on his pants, said "you boys are gonna get it over with early, huh?" He went on to remind us that he'd just won $3k at Byron. That actually pissed me off because he'd disrespected me and my ride.

We lined 'em up and when the last yellow was on, I was gone. My car hooked better than ever and I beat him. He came over to me afterwards and said he got caught in something at the starting line. Never said nice race or congrats. I didn't care because I won.

Later I saw Joe @ Brainerd running the white '71 SS-454 Peterson/Thompson Chevelle I used to see racing @ Minnesota Dragways. I told him how much I enjoyed watching him row that car down the track in the 10s. He said he felt more comfortable when the car ran 11.90s and won more rounds at that ET range.

Comment

Didn't Harry Hodge,I think that was his name win the first Bracket Nationals? He drove a 1969 1/2 red Super Bee Six Pac,sponsored by Pacific Palm Pools If I remember right he was very good.
                Drag Racing,just you,me,and the tree!!

Comment

I liked the dark blue Corenet Pacific Palm Pools car out of the two.Z..."That actually pissed me off because he'd disrespected me and my ride."I think Byron has a diffenent flavor of racer mindset.Bigger money and words can't hurt ya.You did good by listening to your brother..smile

Now ....How about John Robbinson:laughing smile:I'll start by saying he's no shrinking violet.

Comment

Yeah, John was a piece of art too. Like him or not, he was a damn good driver. I had run-ins with him at Northstar and I came up short against him. I have a video racing against him at a WCS meet @ BIR. I won that one though. We both broke out but my better light caused him to break out more. He was obviously not happy since it was 1st round.

Comment

Originally posted by 57 300 View Post
                      I liked the dark blue Corenet Pacific Palm Pools car out of the two.Z..."That actually pissed me off because he'd disrespected me and my ride."I think Byron has a diffenent flavor of racer mindset.Bigger money and words can't hurt ya.You did good by listening to your brother..smile

Now ....How about John Robbinson:laughing smile:I'll start by saying he's no shrinking violet.

Ha Ha, I tossed John out at Grove Creek once, His car did not passtech inspection one day, He was pissed off. Too bad.:laughing smile: Then to top it off at a swap one day I made him pay full price for an intake that I had for sale, He sent his henchmen around to lowball me and I found out about that and I started to raise the price by $25 every time they asked what I wanted for it.:laughing smile:

Comment

Working...
                      X