"Old" Auto parts stores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Old" Auto parts stores

This thread will likely show the age range of some of you here Personally I can't think of a local auto parts store that I know I will either find what I need right away or be able to find an employee who actually knows where to find what I need and not have to give him the verbal equivalent of a Vince Flynn novel about what part I need and why I need it. To start this out, besides the current crop of Checkers, A/Z, and Bumper to Bumper, The only other stores I remember were Crown Auto, Champion, Big Wheel ( sometimes it was Big Wheel Rossi ), and 10,000 Auto Parts. There has to be more and how would you rate them compared to modern stores?

I didn't want to put MAS in the same sentence as A/Z and Checkers but it sounds like maybe some of you can shed some light on them as well.

Maybe you should start shopping at TNT.

Comment

John, I guess TNT is in a whole category by itself and I mean that in a good way. Its been a few years since I was in there when Tom was working the parts counter. Its a good 45 minutes from my 'hood otherwise I'd probably be a frequent flyer there.

Comment

I get TNT all the time TNTfireworks that is.

Comment

It depends on if you are talking OEM type parts stores or speed shops???

Some only know TNT as TNT but the history behind this store is a man known as Smiling Ted Smith "Smith Auto".
          He would always greet you into his store on Lake St. in Mpls. with a big smile, he also did alot of mail order parts shipping long before the big boys (Jegs and Summit) got huge and popular.

MAS was a large speed shop in it's days down on Hennepin Ave also in Mpls,
          and they also had a store on University across from Wards in the 80's.

10,000 Auto Parts was a Good all around OEM, Speed parts store in it's day, and had some of the best counter help around, they did not need much info from you and they had your parts on the counter, usally the correct one the first time, not like today where you have to jump through hoops just to get close to what you want, (NO BOOKS) can't cross reference much, you have to know what you want before you go into some stores, not all are like this and there are some guys working them that are very good at what they do.

Another was a place called J&J Speed Shop and it has been so long I'm not sure where it was anymore I think it was in Bloomington??

Comment

Titan5, thats why I initially didn't mention TNT, although I did mention MAS. As long as we are including "speed shops" I will throw out if anyone remembers the name Sonny Heck. Up until a few years ago, there use to be signage on a bldg on White Bear and Ames in St. Paul that simply said " Sonny Heck's ". I had heard it was something to do with cars/racing but well before my time.

Comment

R.E. was the old place to be........ racers exchange......... boy i feel old now.......lmfao

Comment

Originally posted by Jumpercables View Post
                Titan5, thats why I initially didn't mention TNT, although I did mention MAS. As long as we are including "speed shops" I will throw out if anyone remembers the name Sonny Heck. Up until a few years ago, there use to be signage on a bldg on White Bear and Ames in St. Paul that simply said " Sonny Heck's ". I had heard it was something to do with cars/racing but well before my time.

I do recall the name, but I had never been to his shop.
                I am sure that some guys here will be able to fill in the blanks as many were sure to be pleased with the results they got from his work.

Comment

Originally posted by 98 cobra s/c View Post
                  R.E. was the old place to be........ racers exchange......... boy i feel old now.......lmfao

I was going to mention them but my post was getting very long.

Do you remember when they were in the back of that GEM building???
                  If you do then I know how old you are feeling....:lol:

Comment

not sure......hard to remember.......

Comment

RACER SEXCHANGE:rotfl:

Comment

R.E. was even more famous than doc was......lmfao

Comment

I'm not sure if Big-A is still around, but I don't recall it ever being well known.

Carquest wasn't mentioned yet, but the people behind the counter seem to know their stuff whenever I've gone. I think they're a little more expensive though.

There was a place on 78th and Portland Ave in the eighties that was a good place to get parts and re-manufactured transmissions. I can't recall the name though.

And then Champion Auto had the TV shows on Saturday mornings for a while.

Comment

ive only heard of sonny heck's....heard he was somewhat of a badass when it came to building engines

Comment

Champion Auto ad circa 1970.....

Between Champion Auto and 10,000 Auto Parts they carried alot of speed parts.

Doc

Comment

Working...
                              X