Camaro 3.8 RoadTest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camaro 3.8 RoadTest

Today I helped a co-worker look at a nice 98 Camaro with a 3.8 stick car. I always wanted to drive one to see if they were quick. I was wrong, My Z is a ton faster and handles better too. Glad I never bought one. If the Z sells I will get another V8 car for sure, I am spoiled. He was going to get the car for a little less than 4K with 60K on the odometer. Pretty good deal.

Originally posted by MR.hp View Post
    Today I helped a co-worker look at a nice 98 Camaro with a 3.8 stick car. I always wanted to drive one to see if they were quick. I was wrong, My Z is a ton faster and handles better too. Glad I never bought one. If the Z sells I will get another V8 car for sure, I am spoiled. He was going to get the car for a little less than 4K with 60K on the odometer. Pretty good deal.
    Yeah - the naturally-aspirated 3800's power isn't anything write home about. In '98, it was only 200 HP, with just 225 pounds of torque. Pretty anemic in a 3300 pound car with 3.42 gears. If they would have slapped the blown version in that bitch, things would have been a bit different. But it would still have only been 240-250 HP with around 280 pounds of torque at 2000 RPM. Still not enough to get a 3300 pound car moving very quickly, and certainly no match for even the base version of the V8. On the other hand - the newer all-aluminum, all-forged Buick 3.6L V6 has some serious grunt for a naturally-aspirated six-banger. The power curve resembles that of a boosted engine. It cranks out around 320 HP & 95% of its torque is available from 1500 RPM to redline. Plus, it was originally designed for twin-turbos & 450 net HP, so there is plenty of room for improvement.

However, I am surprised that it didn't out-handle your Z - especially given the more favorable weight-ratio with the V6. But then I suppose the V6 version isn't as well-shod as the V8. Have you made any handling improvements to your Z, such as better tires, shocks, or springs?

I've noticed that some of the newer Chevy V8s don't seem to register very high on the 'butt-o-meter' scale. At least that was the case for the G8 GT I tried out a few years ago. It didn't even feel as quick as my GTP, although it was definitely quicker by the numbers. It actually felt rather gutless at lower RPM. That made me curious, so I checked out the power curve & found the answer. The G8 GT's torque peak was way up at 4,000 RPM. No bottom-end to speak of at all. To me, it felt more like a small-displacement Japanese engine than a traditional American V8 musclecar engine. Where did all of the low-end torque go, and what the hell is up with that??

Joel
    Last edited by Fast One; 08-29-2012, 11:34 PM.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

Comment

I bought a 2009 Colbalt SS (turbo) a few months back and am really impressed with the engine. It pulls smooth and strong from 2000 all the way to 6200 rpm. The no lift shift really helps!!! The rest of the cars package probably helps alot too. I want to say it is around 2900 lbs. and that probably makes the 280 hp and 265 lb./ft of torque feel like more than it really is. It will spin the tires pretty darn good with the traction control on. I really wish they would've made it rear wheel drive!!! If they did I'd buy another one! This is my first front wheel drive car and it's tough getting used to.

I always thought the 3.8 sounded good but there wasn't much behind the sound...

I have heard the G8's were a huge improvement over the GTO though...
      www.twintownterrors.com

The Twin Town Terrors are now on Facebook. Like us!

Comment

Originally posted by TwinTownTerror View Post
        I bought a 2009 Colbalt SS (turbo) a few months back and am really impressed with the engine. It pulls smooth and strong from 2000 all the way to 6200 rpm. The no lift shift really helps!!! The rest of the cars package probably helps alot too. I want to say it is around 2900 lbs. and that probably makes the 280 hp and 265 lb./ft of torque feel like more than it really is. It will spin the tires pretty darn good with the traction control on. I really wish they would've made it rear wheel drive!!! If they did I'd buy another one! This is my first front wheel drive car and it's tough getting used to.

That's the main reason why I prefer boosted engines over n/a. I know what you mean about FWD. The GTP is my first FWD, and it will definitely be my last. Regarding the G8 - I've never driven a newer GTO, so I'm not sure. Don't get me wrong - the G8 GT was reasonably quick - 0-60 in just over 5.5 sec, and it handled very well in the corners. But it didn't feel anywhere near as quick to me as it actually was. For me, an important part of the performance-car experience is visceral. I want to feel the bottom-end torque & broad powerband of the big-blocks that I grew up with. Currently, boost is the only way to get there with small-displacement engines.

Joel
        There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

Comment

Originally posted by TwinTownTerror View Post

Ya, the turbo cobalt is way better than the S/C model as when I drove one a few years ago at Walser Chev the darn thing had a huge hole between 1st and 2nd, felt like it needed another gear. I raced one of those little turbo cobalts at powercriuse and it was fun untill I got to the straights anf then I killed him. I am sure with a little tinkering and some boost that little car will fly. You are right, it is wrong wheel drive.

Comment

Working...
          X