Drove a F-150 Ecoboost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drove a F-150 Ecoboost

Yep, nephew has one with max tow. Sync technology is a nice option but can be overkill and most of it unnecessary. Nevertheless...quite an upgrade when comparing to GM's base technology . Although...GM's onstar/nav /turn by turn system has advantages over sync. Was able to brake boost it and burn the tires with 3 passengers. Pulled nicely thru the gears. Other than that? Does not drive as nicely as a Sierra/Silverado. Brand new and rotors already warped. Fuel economy IS NOT 20+ mpg. Once you get the turbos to boost at all, maybe 15 mpg if lucky. He's had it back for reprogramming. Slight trans shudder another thing I noticed which should not feel from a brand new truck. Granted...it wasn't severe, but I could feel it. I give Ford credit for trying new technology rather than following.

What gear ratio does he have, what tires are on it, and no, you're not going to get 20+mpg while brake boosting & flooring it. :P

Out of pure curiosity, what advantages does Onstar turn by turn have over the Sync Nav? Just wondering..
    1966 Mustang Fastback 2+2
    2012 Ford Mustang GT convertible
    2013 Ford F-150 FX4 ECOBOOST
    1971 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454 Clone

and others. :)

Comment

Yeah, the turn by turn is probably not much of an advantage. The Onstar system itself offers more features that are important to me. Another few items I noticed my nephew's F150 sync system didn't have, such as talking to a live person rather than to a computer responding to a voice command. Remote door unlock, onboard diagnostics, remote start monitoring, and in case of an accident, a live person talks to you until emergency responders arrive. Don't need to rely on sync-ing your phone to get it to work except would also have to pair the phone on bluetooth on the Onstar system.

I'm sure there are other neat things I didn't have time to figure out during the test drive.

As far as the fuel economy? C'mon...who drives a twin turbo truck like there's an egg under the pedal? There's a monitor on the dash that shows fuel efficiency and while we were driving anything other than slight pedal pressure, it showed fuel in-efficiency and mileage around 15mpg.

The tires were factory and it had the max-tow package, so I recall him saying it had 3.73s because he asked what the logic was why GM only offered 3.42 with the 5.3

I'm sure the sync system has advantages for storing music, but GM's Intellilink in combination with Onstar is a better system in my opinion. The Sierra/Silverado won't get that system until they're upgraded though.

He admitted it didn't ride like a GM. I thought it certainly didn't drive like one either. I got in my company Escalade which is a 2010, and there was no comparison in steering and ride. The Escalade isn't a Sierra/Silverado, but the Sierra Denali is the same basic platform. Also, I thought the dash and gadgetry was technologically superior over the GM when I first sat in and started it up. However after driving it, I felt it was too much gadgetry.

Comment

http://gigaom.com/apple/ford-versus-...connected-car/

I guess if you like Apple...then there's no problem. If you're not an Apple fan then Sync is not for you. Also it appears that if you don't have a smartphone, sync is worthless.

Interesting comments from fans and foes of sync...

Comment

Sync has it's challenges, I'll agree there, but I always thought Onstar had an additional monthly service fee, not sure if it does or not.

Glad you went into the test drive with an open mind though, hopefully you saw a few things you liked.

Also, I am one of those guys that drives like it has an egg under the pedal. I got 22mpg on my way to work this AM from the gas station to work through construction & stop & go traffic. I was happy.

:)
          1966 Mustang Fastback 2+2
          2012 Ford Mustang GT convertible
          2013 Ford F-150 FX4 ECOBOOST
          1971 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454 Clone

and others. :)

Comment

Well my nephew is s neat young man and worthy of respect. He values my opinion and I wanted to let him know I was happy for him. He's another true Ford guy. He bought a new '95 Mustang at least I think it is a 95. The last of the 5.0s from that era. Black with tan convert--his brother has a diesel Excursion and his other brother has a F-250 Super Duty. Not sure what happened to that side of the family. Lol

Comment

My wife loves her new 5.3 Silverado and no turbos to fail in the future either.
              13.7 mpg towing too.

Comment

Put nitrous on it yet?

Comment

Ha Ha

Comment

Working...
                  X