------------------------------------
    Let the hating begin!

Yeah, Happy Thanksgiving guys!

Comment

And if KQ doesn't play it or you missed it,
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yLg_...eature=related

Comment

Haha...I'd never heard that one before.

Reminds me of the extremes the po-po will do to guys hangin out with their cars.

Comment

Gobble gobble

Comment

I never miss KQ's traditional T-day song!

Hope y'all had a great Thanksgiving! I'm still recovering from turkey overload. Was at my sister's place in S. Mpls. The drive home pretty much sucked, though. Sideways snow & slipperier than hell. Found out that the Michelin Primacy MXV4 H tires I put on the GTP this summer are pretty good in slush & snow. They aren't worth a crap on ice, however. But then I've been switching between Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS W Pole Positions & Dunlop Winter Sport SP2 H high-performance winter snows for the last 7 years, so I'm used to having lots of grip on ice. It happened to work out that I needed a new set of summer and winter tires this year, so I thought I'd try a high-performance all-season grand touring tire. Hope I don't regret that decision by the end of the winter.

Joel
            There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

Comment

Yeah, I bought Potenzas for the wifes '05 CTS rwd and were not good in the snow. I put Blizzaks on and never looked back. They are an amazing tire. Now the wife has a '09 CTS awd, and the factory 18" Michelin performance tires were kinda scary last winter. Will throw Blizzaks on it too. AWD and Blizzaks should make a nice combination and possibly save a $500 accident deductible.

Comment

It was a mix of warm and cold for Thanksgiving, a tail of two seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Z28SSMAN View Post
                  Yeah, I bought Potenzas for the wifes '05 CTS rwd and were not good in the snow. I put Blizzaks on and never looked back. They are an amazing tire. Now the wife has a '09 CTS awd, and the factory 18" Michelin performance tires were kinda scary last winter. Will throw Blizzaks on it too. AWD and Blizzaks should make a nice combination and possibly save a $500 accident deductible.
                  A few years ago, I decided to leave a fresh set of RE960s on the GTP until after the first snow - just for grins. After all, they are called an all-season - right? I couldn't make it up the driveway in 2" of snow without getting a run at it! I switched to my Winter Sports the next day!

Regarding Blizzaks - they were my first experience with a modern snow/ice tire. Back in the late 90s, I put a set of WS50s on my AWD Legacy wagon while I was teaching in Willmar. I thought I was Superman! I had no problem driving through snow all the way up to the top of the hood as long as it wasn't too wet & heavy. I took it ice-fishing up on Lake of the Woods many times. Blizzaks were relatively unknown up there at the time. The car could do things on the lake that seemed to defy common sense. There were quite a few 4x4 guys scratching their heads over what it could do! Since then, I have been switching to winter snows - until this season.

When I bought the GTP I had to find a different winter tire. The GTP needs at least an H-rated tire, and Blizzak didn't make any that would fit. The WS50s were only Q-rated, and they were very roly-poly on the Subie. Searching Tire Rack for high-performance winter snows, I found the H-rated Dunop SP2 Winter Sports. They were the highest-rated performance snow that came in a 225/60-16. The GTP had the typical rock-hard, craptastic dealership tires on it when I bought it. I remember laughing when I took the first on-ramp with the Winter Sports. My new snow tires out-cornered & out-handled the all-seasons - even on bare asphalt! Of course, I immediately started looking for new summer tires!

The W-rated AS960 Pole Positions were at the top of the ultra-high-performance all-season heap. They were available in a 245/50-16 that wasn't much shorter than my old 225/60s, so I picked up a set. They were the best street tires that I've ever had in my life! They stuck like glue, sucked-up water like a shop-vac, and made the steering more precise than I ever imagined it could be on a W-body. The GTP actually felt sort of light on its feet & even turned a halfway decent corner - at least for a wrong-wheel drive car. I went through two sets in six years, and then Bridgestone quit making them! Of course, the RE970 that replaced them isn't available in my size. I couldn't find a suitable alternative that would fit, so I decided to try a set of all-season high-performance grand touring tires & run them all year. Of course the MXV4s can't hold a candle to the RE960s when it comes to wet & dry grip and handling, but they are the best-handling touring tires I've ever had.

I wish I could find some H-rated tires for the GN, as that's what it's supposed to have. But nobody makes H-rated 235/60 or 275/50 15s, so I've been stuck with BFG Radial TAs for years. Makes me want to switch to the 16 x 8 GNX wheels just so I can run some decent 245/50s on the front & 255/50s on the rear, like the GNX did.

Joel
                  There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

Comment

I am still full of Turkey

Comment

Working...
                    X