Stealerships having trouble finding workers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stealerships having trouble finding workers

So now that I am retired (again) I get 2 calls asking if I want to work on cars, I had to decline. Looks like to me there is a big shortage of skilled workers in the auto field and it is only going to get worse as kids these days do not want to get their hands dirty. I did hear of one shop who fired a lube tech, he was going to tech school and had trouble finding the drain plugs on the cars. Seems to me there is a better way which I know of but I am not willing to share what I have for free with the dealers. It is their own fault, scaring the guys away, with what people have to pay for health ins. at these places no wonder no one wants to work on cars. I guess If the want to pay me $20 hr. to change oil I will suspend my pension work again but other than that I will enjoy my time off. :smoke:

But we were told that when the new "affordable care act" passed, insurance premiums would drop by $2500 per year? Hmm...wonder what happened?

Comment

It was slated that even 5 years ago there was a tech shortage, I can see it starting already and most of my friends have gotten out of the car industry. Dealers are so hell bent on this "unapplied time" crap so they blame it on the tech for not making them enough money, funny thing is if you cut the labor times then you get less production.
      All that is left now are hacks, just looked at who tried to fix that Hyundai I just bought, the shop cost him $300 and still never fixed it.

Comment

Many people no longer take pride in their work or workmanship.

Comment

Agreed

Comment

It's not just in the auto sales/maintenance world. The local carpenters union is having a heck of a time finding people. Same for OTR truck drivers. I know there is one company that was giving away a free car as an incentive to keep good drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumpercables View Post
              It's not just in the auto sales/maintenance world. The local carpenters union is having a heck of a time finding people. Same for OTR truck drivers. I know there is one company that was giving away a free car as an incentive to keep good drivers.
              Seems to me that there are a lot of jobs, either nobody wants to work or get their hands dirty. Most people want to sit at a desk and play computer man for a job, I am sure I will get a part time job this fall as I do not want to sit around all winter, but when spring comes I am gone again.

Comment

Originally posted by MR.hp View Post
                Seems to me that there are a lot of jobs, either nobody wants to work or get their hands dirty. Most people want to sit at a desk and play computer man for a job
                The work ethic is certainly dwindling with each generation. Too many out there that think flipping a $1000 beater or buying/selling junk on eBay,craigslist is actually a career that will pay the bills and give them a decent retirement when they are old enough.

Comment

Yeah most young people think its a joke to keep a steady job or career. When they reach retirement age and have meager money coming in each month or maybe zero money, it won't be a joke then.

Comment

Working...
                  X