Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friend of the past new race car

Friend from the '70s new race car and plans to race here at RF on Oct 8th
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Bet that runs better than a 10.0 nice ride.

Comment

A few guys from the old So Mpls days are going. They asked if you're coming out Bob. Hope the wx is favorable

Comment

Yeah, that one looks a lot quicker than a 10-sec car! Sweet!

Last time I was at slippery rock was back when the GN club used to go there once in a while. Probably well-over a decade ago now. Was also the last time I raced my GN on a real drag-strip.

With over 197,000 mi on the clock & original engine internals (aside from 'Vette valve-springs, a high-volume oil pump, and a double-roller timing-chain & gears), I wouldn't run my GN in the 1/4 anymore - but it would be fun even to just watch some locals race!
        There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

Comment

Originally posted by Z28SSMAN View Post
          Friend from the '70s new race car and plans to race here at RF on Oct 8th
          How did his car run on Oct 8th? My car is down and I got lazy to get another bullet in the car.

Comment

He was trying to figure the car out on Sat. as he had never made a pass with it. lol Couldn't figure out the trans brake and shifter. I saw him keep rolling thru the staging beams but took off like a bat out of hell and then you could tell he forgot or couldn't shift out of low but still ran low 10s. He stayed overnight and ran mid 9s on Sun. Aaberg was running 9.5s at over 140 but one of his friends with a '70 Chevelle ran 9.12 against him. Kenny ran 11.0s with his Nova. Said his trans didn't want to shift without lifting off the throttle.

Comment

Low 9s, holy shit! To me, that's friggin' quick!
              There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

Comment

He was trying to figure the car out on Sat. as he had never made a pass with it. lol Couldn't figure out the trans brake and shifter. I saw him keep rolling thru the staging beams but took off like a bat out of hell and then you could tell he forgot or couldn't shift out of low but still ran low 10s. He stayed overnight and ran mid 9s on Sun. Aaberg was running 9.5s at over 140 but one of his friends with a '70 Chevelle ran 9.12 against him. Kenny ran 11.0s with his Nova. Said his trans didn't want to shift without lifting off the throttle.
                He must have been spraying his Camaro that day, as he ran 10.50's last time I saw the car at the track.

Comment

I'm sure he was. I'm probably one of the few old school guys who has never sprayed his cars. Never has been important to me. When I get tired of coming up short, I'll just build a bigger cube motor. If I can run mid 11s @120 out of my 346, getting a 100+ more rwhp from a mild big cube with great street manners would put me in the mix. Plus I'll do it, stock appearing with a 6 speed on 17" drag radials. just my 2cents

Comment

Well...I did high 11s with my GN, running 22-25 lb of boost w/alcohol injection on a stock engine with a few "tweaks". Old fuckers say "there's no replacement for displacement" - but a well-tuned turbo setup is displacement on demand. Running ~14.7 lb of boost doubles your effective displacement. A stock '87 GN runs 15 lb - which turns the 231 cube V6 into the equivalent of a naturally-aspirated 462. Running 25 lb of boost with a good intercooler turns it into a stump-puller that's equivalent to a 785 cube n/a stroker!

Comment

Quite amazing V6s. Probably why Buddy Ingersoll was kicked out of Pro Stock. Of course he ran twin turbos. lol

Comment

Yup! Very familiar with Buddy's V6! The only turbo V6 to ever compete in Pro Stock! The other teams bitched to NHRA that he had an unfair technological advantage (which he did). Same thing happened when Buick set the speed record for Indy cars at Indy with their quad-cam racing version of the GN's engine.

Comment

I'm sure he was. I'm probably one of the few old school guys who has never sprayed his cars. Never has been important to me. When I get tired of coming up short, I'll just build a bigger cube motor. If I can run mid 11s @120 out of my 346, getting a 100+ more rwhp from a mild big cube with great street manners would put me in the mix. Plus I'll do it, stock appearing with a 6 speed on 17" drag radials. just my 2cents
                          Have Jason Anderson re-work those 243's and put that SS into the high 10's.

Comment

• Z28SSMAN
                            Z28SSMAN commented
                            Editing a comment
                            My car wouldn't run high 10s off a cliff. lol

Quite amazing V6s. Probably why Buddy Ingersoll was kicked out of Pro Stock. Of course he ran twin turbos. lol
                          I remember that and thought that was bullshit when Glidden, Warren Johnson, Reher Morrison and others bitch to keep buddy out of P/S in '86. Fucking cry babies.

Comment

Working...
                          X