Finally Got to Race the L-29 Heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally Got to Race the L-29 Heads

Was able to go out and test yesterday and I will tell all of you the Rock has gone down the drain. No one seems to know WTF is going on there and it had turned into one big old sheet show. Now I was able to test the 461 with the new L-29 heads and it ran 11.10@118mph. My tires were at the end of their life and after the 1st run all the car did was spin and ran slower. Still pretty happy with less converter and junk tires. Will need to wait until next year as I think I spun a rod bearing.

Wow great time. What was the 1/8th mi and 60ft? Or just post up the time slip. Hope you didn't spin a bearing

Comment

Originally posted by Z28SSMAN View Post
      Wow great time. What was the 1/8th mi and 60ft? Or just post up the time slip. Hope you didn't spin a bearing
      1/8 mile was was a 6.98 me thinks and the 60ft was 1.50 with sheet tires and a light hesitation. Fixes the hesitation and the car slowed down .002 as it spun a little. On the last run I put my 1000 Mighty Demon on the car and it spun a lot but the MPH dropped off 6mph and when I got to the pits I could hear a squeak noise so I shut it off and put the car on the trailer. Quite happy with the heads for sure. Want me to port a set of LS1 heads for you Glenn? Just find me a set and I will port them for free and do a valve job on them for you. Love to see that SS car of yours in the 11 teens.

Comment

That's haulin. Thanks but my car runs too smooth and trouble free to mess with it.

Comment

That's haulin. Thanks but my car runs too smooth and trouble free to mess with it.
          Nothing wrong with eating a good sandwich going down the road. LOL.

Comment

Pulled the 461 yesterday and the bottom end is toast. Looks like I will need to switch bullets for a while.

Comment

Damn, sorry to hear that. :(
              There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

Comment

Originally posted by Fast One View Post
                Damn, sorry to hear that. :(
                It's not a big deal, if it gets hurt that's racing. I just hope I didn't do too much damage. Might build a 496 but some say it might make less hp with the bigger engine and more torque. Either way these heads need to use a flat top piston. I have 2 other roller cam BBC 468's ready yo use if needed.

Comment

Pulled the oil pan today, No. 8 rod bearing is toast. will need some new bottom end parts to fix.

20221103_183308.jpg
                  Last edited by MR.hp; 11-03-2022, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Ouch! Those look thin.

Comment

Ouch! Those look thin.
                      All caused by using the wrong oil pan and oil pump pickup, all my fault for not looking at the sump area a lot closer, I feel like a big dumbass over this. Won't make that mistake again in my lifetime. New oiling system will be bullet proof this time.

Comment

Damn, those look like they've seen 300,000 miles! Glad you found root-cause, though. One less thing to worry about next time!
                        There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

Comment

11-10-68chevele-jpg.750840.jpg

Comment

11,1 @ nearly 118 MPH is hauling ass! But WTF is up with the other guy only getting a 107 MPH trap speed on a mid 11-sec run??

Comment

Originally posted by Fast One View Post
                              11,1 @ nearly 118 MPH is hauling ass! But WTF is up with the other guy only getting a 107 MPH trap speed on a mid 11-sec run??
                              He let off it I think. I ran that 11.10 with a bad bottom end too, if you think that's good my hyd cammed Vortec 406 in 2019 went 10.92@120 MPH Joel, gave a lot of late model cars shit fits that night.

Comment

Working...
                              X