Never Buying a New GM Car or Truck Ever Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never Buying a New GM Car or Truck Ever Again

So my wife has a 2011 Silverado with 28K on the clock and she takes real good care of her truck. Washes it and waxes the damn thing all the time. Today as I was looking as the rear wheel well in the center I noticed RUST bubbling up on the paint WTF. Boy was I pissed, I always remember a body shop guy telling me that if the wheel well edges are a little wrinkly from the factory forming prosses they all will rust there. Well he wasn't wrong that's exactly what happened here. Sure the truck is 12 years old but I now see 2017's with rusted out wheel wells also. Why the hell GM uses shit metal is beyond me. She now said "we'll drive it into the ground and we're not putting any money into it anymore. Hell my 2002 Suburban is just stating to rust but it's got 265K on it and just sits in the winter. Next truck for me will be a Tundra I'm done with GM.

Shit, that sucks! Back when I wrecked my 2002 40th Anny GTP, I wanted to get it fixed - but when we put it on a 4-point hoist, it went right through the unibody structure. Entire underbody was cheese-holed from rust. Had just over 200k on it. I washed & waxed it a lot, and gave it weekly washes in the winter at a carwash with one of those powerful underbody sprayers that vibrates the floor when you go through. Not a spot of rust on the body, but it was totally shot underneath. Same deal with the 2005 Rendezvous that I just sent to the recycler. No rust on the body - but when it started dumping antifreeze & I brought it in, the front cradle was so rusty, they said it wasn't worth pulling the engine to replace the cracked timing-chain cover. :(

Fortunately, the GN is still solid @ 197,000 mi. Surface rust on the frame & diff, but that's it underneath. Also getting surface rust on the nuts & bolts under the hood, on the bumpers, and also on the chrome of a couple wheels. Wish I could afford to have all of that stuff completely re-done! Had the 2012 Outback on the hoist & it looks pretty good underneath @ 80,0000 mi. I could see that the original owner had it undercoated.

I've been a diehard GM guy most of my life, but the '91 Subie Legacy Wagon AWD I had back in the late '90s/early 2000's was unquestionably one of the best cars I've ever owned. Absolutely reliable, went through snow up to the headlights, no rust even when I sold it @ 250k, and it didn't burn oil. Only shit I ever had to do to it was regular long-term maintenance stuff like brakes, CV joints, and struts. That's why when the Rendezvous crapped out, I decided to get another Subie.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

Comment

Yeah, Toyotas don't rust. Tundra lol.
      1. Dutch says:
        May 20, 2013 at 12:33 am
        I have a 2010 Tundra and just had the bed replaced due to the rust issue. It was still covered under the corrosion warranty. Less than 30,000 miles on the truck.

Toyota Truck Rust Problems – What’s Going On?

Tim Esterdahl | Oct 18, 2012 | Comments 19

Despite Toyota’s long-standing reputation for quality production, one thing the carmaker can’t seem to shake is persistent rust and corrosion problems. Over the years, Toyota continues to have a pattern of rust and corrosion problems. Why? What’s the deal with Toyota trucks and rust?

https://tundraheadquarters.com/toyota-rust-problems/

The 2004-2011 Tundra pickups are not spared from the rust problems, so you may want to think twice before buying a Tundra. According to this 2010 Tundra owner from Woodbridge, USA, there was a significant level of rust under the bed liner with less than 20,000 miles on the odometer.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-t...-idUSKBN1370PE

Comment

Maybe we'll never buy a new truck as I guess they all rust out prematurely.

Comment

Well isn't this interesting. I was at 3 body shops and had them look at this and all 3 said the same thing, the rust is from impurities from the metal. There is no rust through from the back side looking with a scope camera, so GM screwed the pooch on this one for sure. We have decided I will grind that area out and repaint it then put some black plastic fender flairs on her truck to cover it up. I'd go to Chevy about this but I am sure I know what the answer will be.

Comment

Working...
          X