The Toyota Tundra sham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Toyota Tundra sham

Toyota's Tundra marketing campaign has been relentless.

Here are a few facts:

Toyota has spent around a billion dollars in product design, plant tooling & construction and advertising promoting this turd.

Facts:
    The "Tri-Tech" Frame. Was copied from Silverados from 1999. The front section isn't even as good as the old Silverado frame because it's not even Hydroformed. It's a boxed design but welded, then it is C channel to the rear.

Big Brake Rotors. They talk about how big their rotors are, but if you check out the stopping distances between their "big rotor" Tundra and the Silverado, the stopping distances are the same from 60 mph to 0 and the Silverado has a 10ft shorter stopping distance from 70-0. The reason why? It's not about brake rotor diameter, it's about "swept area". In other words Silverado has a slightly smaller brake rotor, but their brake pad is larger so the clamping area is greater.

381 Hp They used to advertise having the most powerful 1/2 ton truck. The reason you don't see any more ads is because the GMC has an available 403 hp. Their 381 hp engine peaks at 5600 rpm. Anyone drive around town a 5600 rpm? When I say "peak" I mean peak unlike GM engines which have a flat powerband. That's why they use a 4.36 gear to keep it in the powerband. They don't offer a different gear either. It also has probably the worst fuel economy of any 1/2 ton truck.

6-Speed Automatic. Sounds great? One would think that a 6-Speed trans would give you better fuel economy. Sorry, the Tundra gets 2 mpg less than a comparable Chev with a 4-speed Automatic.

Other misleading ads they've run. Ever see them pulling the weighted trailer up a ramp and hear them say "it takes a lot of power to move 10,000 lbs up this ramp and even better brakes to stop it? Well, Toyota was confronted about this ad and wouldn't deny that the truck wasn't pulling 10,000 lbs, but 10,000lbs was the combined weight of the truck and trailer. Plus they wouldn't deny that the trailer had electric brakes.

They even use 5 lug wheels on this "truck that's changing it all".

Toyota owners are complaining about their tailgates splitting apart. Toyota's response? They're telling people to remove the tailgate when loading heavy items in the bed.

Toyota has acknowledged that they have a camshaft failure problem on the 381 hp Tundra. They are not going to recall them and have decided to repair them as they arrive in service departments.

There's also a driveshaft problem and they're working on a fix.

Recently, Toyota recalled another 200,000 vehicles. More than anyone in the industry. The media refuses to slather the number of recalls over the airways like they would if it were a GM or Ford. In my opinion, somebody is paying somebody off. Why else would the public not hear about this sham of a company?

http://www.brightcove.com/title.jsp?...nnel=493148895

I agree totally with you Z. My dad 20 years ago use to say how many 10 year old Japanese trucks on the road did you see that were in good roadworthy shape and he had a point. Looks like despite all the advances in modern technology the same holds true today for the trucks from the land of the rising sun. Here is proof in the pudding:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWjTb...eature=related

Comment

no one relieses that GM is one of the top 3 most reliable brands out of all of them and Toyota has the most maint out of all of them. Toyota is riding there name for quality where it is not true any more.

Comment

To me (the consumer) they all could do better instead of striving for mediocrity.

Comment

The LS1 trucks are the best GM has ever made

Comment

Originally posted by 602hp View Post
            The LS1 trucks are the best GM has ever made
            Yeah what he said!

Comment

And on top of all that the Tundra's are BUTT UGLY.

Comment

Toyota Tundra

I have an 07 Tundra. It is not without it's compromises, as is anything. That having been said, the truck does it's job and I like it. I don't take exception to anything about it and it was cheap. I personally like the looks. The performance is very good. The ride is a little stiff as it is rated for over 3/4 ton. It gets around 15 mpg. It is a reg cab short bed with the 5.7 and 2wd. It is rated to be able tow more than I'll ask with a car on trailer and a full load under the topper for a day at the track. It gets through the snow extremely well. The 2wd with snows. The rear is an open diff. There is a system that activates the brakes to apply to the wheel that is turning more. Just like a tractor. It did have a little bed bounce to it until I got the topper on. Just a little weight back there counters it. The suspension is HD and a little stiff for my taste. I replaced a Chevy 1/2 ton ext cab short box with this truck. The chevy rode a little smoother / softer. This truck is also a little bit taller and bigger in all dimensions. The turning circle is very tight and that makes it easy to manuver and park. Check it out if you see me, you might like it.

Comment

Hey Tom! Glad to have you in our site.

When I made the post about Tundras I didn't know you had one....oops! Like I said before, if you like it then that should be all that matters. I just have my opinion and probably not going to change it. My respect for you has nothing to do with the type of truck you drive.

Now that we're done with that...I have done a lot of research on the LSD differential on the Toyotas. I've driven both trucks at a GM ride and drive event. This event wasn't skewed by GM. They had trucks from GM, Toyota, Ford, Dodge and Nissan. We had the opportunity to see for ourselves the differences between all of them....not by having a commercial give us misleading information..but by getting under the wheel and DRIVING each truck. The GM had the Eaton locking diff and the Toyota had the LSD. Since the LSD uses the brake system to try and apply traction, it overheated and shut down.

I had the chance to drive each truck through a course similar to the one in this video. So before everyone looks at the video and complains that it's GM propaganda, I was there and DROVE through a course pretty similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8PpZF77tgk

Comment

toyota makes a lame truck /thread

Comment

Working...
                    X