More Tundra issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Tundra issues

The sad part about the attached link is what I expected all along. The truck is a wannabe.

If Toyota had used the millions spent on misleading TV ads and put it into the frame technology, they possibly wouldn’t be facing this problem.

I remember looking at the frame of the Tundra at the auto show. I believe they call it a “Tri-Tech”. Basically, the frame is old technology. They copied it from the old ’99 GM Sierra/Silverado, but it isn’t even as good as GM's old version because it’s not even hydroformed. I’m sure anyone who knows anything about steel will agree that hydroforming increases strength, reduces flex and weight and allows for a more accurate fit as components are attached to it. GM pioneered and introduced hydroforming technology to their trucks from the C5 Corvette.

I noticed how the Tundra’s frame is welded in the boxed area and looks really flimsy past the boxed area. I think this is what’s contributing to the “bounce”.

Post # 50 is one of my favorites.....

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/bl...-our-position/

They do bounce, but they rip pretty well. A friend bought a regular cab 2WD (fastest type) and it went 14.1 @ 100 mph with both of us and 300 miles on the odometer. I'm no truck guy, but I was impressed (except for the stereo).

Comment

Well if Tom is happy with his truck then good for him.

There are many trucks from GM that will tow 10,000 lbs.

Toyota's 381 hp engine is definitely a strong runner. The people I've talked to are getting 12 mpg and that's with a 6-speed automatic transmission. Toyota has admitted that this engine has had a number of camshaft failures, but refuses to recall them. They basically have indicated that they'll wait until they fail and then warranty them.

Here's a note from Tundra news...
      Meanwhile, Levine also tracked down a consultant who confirms the estimate we originally reported that it will cost $5,000 to swap out each engine that experiences a failed camshaft. Toyota will certainly pay the estimated $100,000 to repair the 20 trucks already known to have experienced a camshaft failure, but the looming question that's yet to be answered is how many more trucks might need to have their engine replaced? Toyota Spokesperson Bill Kwong told Levine, "Our dealers have approximately 1,600 new Tundras nationwide for disposal as a loaner vehicle while a customer's truck is being repaired, and that doesn't include older Tundras and Tacomas." While meant more as an assurance that the company will do whatever it can to help out customers who find themselves with an affected engine, that statement also implies Toyota is at least prepared for the number to grow.

Doesn't give a guy a lot of confidence when you're out in the middle of nowhere and have a camshaft failure. Add that to the fact that there are a fraction of dealers (in comparison to GM) to help you when/if a failure occurs. On top of that, you only get a 60,000 mi powertrain warranty (unless they are going to extend that due to the known cam failures)

GMC has a 403 HP engine in their lineup and an overall better designed truck...anyone that knows anything about trucks wouldn't dispute that. Toyota may have a great sales history with their car line, but they are not even in GM or Ford's league when it comes to full size trucks. Plus...the Tundras are probably the ugliest trucks I've ever seen.

Comment

If you start bad talking F-150's I'm gonna have to slap ya.......lmfao...... Tony stewart drive's for toyota now, and I'll bet he'll frum roll ya from 45mph anytime....... lol

Comment

Originally posted by 98 cobra s/c View Post
          If you start bad talking F-150's I'm gonna have to slap ya.......lmfao...... Tony stewart drive's for toyota now, and I'll bet he'll frum roll ya from 45mph anytime....... lol
          F150? you mean the ones with the TRIFLIN motors? lol

Tony Stewart lol

Comment

TRIFLIN:lol:

Comment

Originally posted by Morvo View Post
              They do bounce, but they rip pretty well. A friend bought a regular cab 2WD (fastest type) and it went 14.1 @ 100 mph with both of us and 300 miles on the odometer. I'm no truck guy, but I was impressed (except for the stereo).
              Oh there's no doubt they can be quick. 381 hp with a 4.39 gear and 6-speed automatic should be quick, but what else can it do?

I've seen the power curve on those engines and they are really peaky. IIR, they peak at 5600. That's why they have to stick a lot of gear in it and use the 6-speed to keep it in it's power range. You can't order any other gear either, so you get a quick truck that's a gas pig.

Like I mentioned earlier, they are real thirsty and the people I've talked to with the 381hp are getting 12 mpg. In my opinion, if I wanted a truck for performance, there are many other routes to go. Other trucks can be tweaked to outperform 14.1, get better mileage and look better doing it. Not sure what's available for performance tweaks on this 5.7.

Comment

To be fair, I think only the 4x4's are affected....

Toyota recalls Tundra pickups

December 15, 2007
                BLOOMBERG

Toyota Motor Corp. is recalling 15,600 new Tundra large pickups because a rear driveshaft can separate and cause the wheels to stop turning, a setback in the company's challenge to U.S. rivals' dominance in such trucks.
                The flaw follows an earlier announcement by Toyota that it would replace V8 engines in 20 of the 2007 trucks because of defective camshafts. The revamped Tundra also failed to win top safety scores for all model types in National Highway Traffic Safety Administration tests.
                Friday's recall is "small in terms of numbers, but when you look at the number of incidents Toyota has had on the Tundra, it begins to add up," said Dennis Virag, president of Automotive Consulting Group in Ann Arbor. "Pickups are a different breed of animal. Toyota is still on a learning curve

Comment

Tailgate problems

Tailgates splitting on the new Tundra...

We’re not sure if this is will be old news to some of you, but Toyota released a memo to their dealers regarding problems with Toyota Tundra tailgates in the last week or so. We finally got our hands on it, and you can read the memo for yourself by clicking on the image below.

Click image to see full-size memo. Make sure to hover over full-size image when it opens - your browser may shrink it.
                  The memo speaks for itself, but we thought the phrase “there is no industry standard or consensus regarding tailgate load capacity” was especially interesting. The way we read that sentence, it sounds like Toyota is saying “we can make this truck any way we want to.” Hardly seems like an appropriate response, especially considering the truck is advertised as being the toughest thing on the road.
                  Here’s an idea: Make the tailgate strong enough so that the welds don’t split when someone loads an atv in the back.
                  As for the Tundra’s tailgate popping off it’s hinge if you drive with it “down” position, Toyota’s official response is that the manual states you shouldn’t drive with the tailgate down unless it’s secured in that position by the load or a bed extender. Too bad that Toyota’s stance ignores the fact they’ve advertised using the truck with the tailgate down:

Comment

Tundra what????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S031Etc0vbk

Comment

Toyotas are gay.

Comment

I only know 2 people with Tundras, but they both love'em. Tom gets about 15 mpg, not 12, and he doesn't drive to conserve fuel. Personally, I think all trucks are ugly and wouldn't own one. You can put a blower on these things from the factory that doesn't void the warranty, but it cost about $5K (ouch). Z-man points out that you can modify other trucks to beat 14.1, but you can modify about anything. I know a nitwit that put a turbo on a late model Park Ave. and if I told you the performance numbers, you wouldn't believe me.

Comment

Originally posted by Morvo View Post
                          I only know 2 people with Tundras, but they both love'em. Tom gets about 15 mpg, not 12, and he doesn't drive to conserve fuel. Personally, I think all trucks are ugly and wouldn't own one. You can put a blower on these things from the factory that doesn't void the warranty, but it cost about $5K (ouch). Z-man points out that you can modify other trucks to beat 14.1, but you can modify about anything. I know a nitwit that put a turbo on a late model Park Ave. and if I told you the performance numbers, you wouldn't believe me.
                          Yeah, a reg cab 4x2 will get better mileage anyday than a 4x4 Ext or Quad Cab which accounts for the majority of what Toyota sells. As far as people loving their trucks? Not going to find many people who have just made one of the largest purchases of their life say "man I hate this truck" lol

As far as modifying anything, you're right. There are so many variables. Some vehicles only need a couple tweaks in their tune, while others need quite a bit more extensive changes. The LS* GM powerplants don't need much tweaking.

Comment

Tweaking

My Tundra is all stock as far as the power train. It hasn't been tweaked in any way except to add weight with a topper, side step bars and a few other things. I believe it performs well for a stock non tweaked truck. I' sure there are many fine examples from GM and Ford and Mopar that perform well whether modified or not. I would really like to have the super charger, but not for 5K. I guess I'll just have to settle for the way it works stock. One of the reasons I bought it was I liked the look. I would be more than happy to show it to anybody that is interested. I'm not saying it's better or worse than other trucks. I am saying I would do it again. I know Glen has a point about people saying stuff like that instead of criticizing themselves for a very expensive recent purchase. I think those who know me well enough would probably agree that I am not shy about self criticizm.

Comment

Well, the main thing is that you're happy with your truck. That's why they make all the different brands and styles. One style doesn't fit all...no more than one pill can't work for all illnesses.

It was never my intent to make you or anyone feel crummy about what they drive. I just happen to live and breathe GM...always have and always will. There's nothing that Toyota Motor Company will ever do to replace all of my positive experiences with GM.

My problem isn't with so much the Tundra....it's with Toyota as a whole. There's no doubt they are a very profitable company. It's not due to the fact that their products are superior to GM or Ford..which they are absolutely not. Other than their top two selling products Camry and Corolla, the rest of their vehicles are in my opinion are below the quality and value of many GM products. Even the nuttswingers of Consumer Reports have removed many Toyota's from their recommended vehicle lists. Previously, all a Toyota nameplate had to do was show up and they were made a "top pick".

The top guy Jim Press also probably realized that their free ride is catching up because he left Toyota for Chrysler. Their top marketing executive also jumped ship. Recalls and quality control issues have loomed over Toyota for the past few years (in the millions) without the media mentioning it. It's suspect as to how all the problems they've experienced have been ignored by the media.

When 9/11 happened, Toyota, Nissan and Honda were nowhere to be found. GM and Ford donated vehicles and helped out with cash donations. It took a few pissed off people to criticize Toyota before they reluctantly pitched in. The same thing happened when the Katrina disaster hit. This is from a company which got free reign of the press, Consumer Reports, US Govt tax breaks/subsidies, news media and a public that bought their products regardless of how much less they invested in this country in comparison to GM or Ford.

What I just mentioned is only a fraction of what I know about Toyota. If it appears that I have a negative opinion of them, then I think I have a pretty good and logical reason for feeling the way I do. It has nothing negative as to how I feel about you Tom. You're one of the most respected guys in the area and probably around the country for that matter.

I'm a equal opportunity criticizer. lol

Comment

Working...
                              X