Where are the F150 vs Silverado #'s?
    1966 Mustang Fastback 2+2
    2012 Ford Mustang GT convertible
    2013 Ford F-150 FX4 ECOBOOST
    1971 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454 Clone

and others. :)

Comment

Here ya go Dan....

Truck sales were lower in May, with higher gas prices likely causing some buyers to defer purchases.

Still, Ford’s F-Series truck remained the best-selling vehicle in the U.S. with May sales of 42,399 (down 15 percent versus a year ago) and year-to-date sales of 214,461 (up 11 percent). The new 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine accounted for 41 percent of F-150 retail sales in May, up 4 percentage points from April. The total V6 mix, including the new 3.7-liter engine, was 55 percent – surpassing sales of F-150s equipped with V8s.

Total combined sales of Chevrolet Silverado and Avalanche, and GMC Sierra decreased 14 percent; with retail sales down 17 percent versus a year ago. For the year-to-date, retail sales for GM's full-size pickups are up 15 percent, while total sales of 212,478 units represent a 13-percent increase compared to the first five months of 2010.

Not bad considering GM is long overdue for a re-design/upgrade and has been competing against a new design/upgraded Ford. Interesting data on the new V-6 EcoBoost. Appears a successful move since their 8 cyl engines really never had segment leading fuel economy.

A few reviews on the ecoboost:

Hate to pee on the parade but just bought a Ecoboost fx4 with max tow and a 6 feet bed to pull a trailer and i'm having problems with it, as soon as i left the dealer, noticed at accelleration a vibration in the rear end, i took the 3.73 rear, my trailer is about 6000 pounds, i went to hook it up, the truck was sitting on its ass like bad and the vibration got a lot worse, was concerned, went back to the dealer and they told me i needed weight reduction bars on the trailer, so went to buy some, it helped a bit but not much then at 1600km went to start at a green light, truck didnt go forward just revving the transmission and no forward, had to shut it off 20 times to get back to the dealer, they said the truck needed reprogramming and it was most of the time normal... after half hour of waiting, they concluded that the transmission was blown, hate the freakin ecoboost when it was working it was great in gaz with no weight but sucked with.

http://www.fordf150.net/forums/viewt...p?f=80&t=99331

Mileage from actual owners:
      http://www.f150forum.com/f70/ecoboos...mileage-87559/

Controversial editorial:
      The ecoboost v6 is a bad idea for a truck engine. A turbo'ed engine has slightly better thermal efficiency than a normally aspirated engine, since heat in the exhaust is tapped to reduce pumping losses on the intake side. However, equal horsepower takes more or less equal fuel and air and for the most part it burns as much fuel as the GM/Ford/Dodge v8s. A lot of the excess heat goes out the exhaust, but a lot of the heat not converted to torque is left to be adsorbed by the coolant and oil. So what you might say, the ecoboost has a big radiator too right? True, but the issue is that heat leaving the combustion chamber through the head and piston have a lot less area to escape through, having 6 smallish pistons compared to 8 largish ones. In the turbo v6, the oil and coolant also are absorbed at the turbo bearings, but there is no way the small engine can shed as much heat through it's piston and combustion chamber as the equivalent horsepower v8.

I suspect the result is that on long 8% grades with +6000 lb trailers, Ford dials out ecoboost horsepower via the waste gate after a few miles since the pistons are just getting too hot, and the oil is getting cooked from the undersides of the pistons and the turbo bearings. It's just simple laws of physics at work. You can't push the same horsepower through much a smaller piston area and not suffer some consequence.

On top of that, compared to the GM aluminum pushrod v8 for example, the 4 cam/twin turbo v6 is almost as heavy, way more complex (and hence expensive to manufacture). Here's another point to ponder: The ecoboost Taurus police car is limited to 131 mph, while the Chevy and Dodge v8 squad cars are let to run 146 to 148 mph. The Ford certainly has the power to run a lot faster but Ford doesn't allow that. I suspect the reason is the same as I've been discussing above; the engine runs out of ability to shed combustion heat at sustained higher speeds.

If you're buying a Ford, get the v8. I suspect that only those who don't get the laws of physics or don't use their trucks for towing are going to be buying the ecoboost Ford.

Comment

Thanks for the links, I didn't know many were having trouble with the transmissions. I own an Ecoboost F150 and mine has hauled an enclosed trailer with furniture/moving stuff in it twice and I thought it handled quite well for a V6. I daily drive it most the time, and maybe tow heavy stuff twice or 3 times a year at most so it is a good choice for me.

I have the 3.73 Limited slip axle and a supercrew and I'm getting 18.5 in the city and 21-22 on the highway depending on what speed I'm cruising at.

Dan
        1966 Mustang Fastback 2+2
        2012 Ford Mustang GT convertible
        2013 Ford F-150 FX4 ECOBOOST
        1971 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454 Clone

and others. :)

Comment

The specs sound impressive and your mpg seems to be worth opting for the V-6.

From what I've read, the ecoboost has more low end torque than some of the large v-8s.

I give Ford credit for pioneering new powertrain ideas--even though they appear to be complex.

Comment

so ford makes a v-6 ecoboost or whatever and claiming 21mpg. if your trying to get better mileage why would you settle for a v6 with a turbo when it gets the same mpg city and hwy as a 5.3 v-8 silverado? bob paid around $26k for his brand new chev. i bet dan didn't pay anywhere near that for his f150

Posted 04 June 2011 - 08:34 PM from f150 forum

First off let me say I am new to the forum... and not that knowledgeable about engines.

I am unhappy with my new Ecoboost Lariat.. it has 2900 miles on it. I've had some weird issues and have been back to the dealer but they tell me everything is okay. I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar concerns or if this is just the normal behavior of the truck. I had a 2007 Lariat with the 5.4 that was smooth as glass and never had any issues.

1. Rough 1-2 shifts.
            This has been a real problem spot. The shifts are rough when cold and sometimes when warm. 1-2 often gives you a kick... but the problem is intermittent. Things were bad enough on I-95 in stop and go traffic a few weeks ago that I just locked the truck into first gear with manual. The shifts tend to be rougher under light throttle inputs but that's not always the case.

2. Weird surge feeling when stopping.
            When coming to a complete stop, the truck seems to have trouble getting the motor out. I feel like I'm braking through the engine. At about 1000 rpm, the tach bounces a little bit by a few hundred RPM once or twice. Only when you're finally at a complete stop does the engine return to idle.

3. Fast idle when cold.
            Upon start up.. and for the first few miles.. the idle is exceedingly fast. It's annoying when pulling out of a lot and stopping. You really have to brake hard to hold it back.

4. Holding throttle in when off the pedal.
            Say you're in a parking lot hunting for a space. You completely take your foot off the gas.. but the truck hangs onto the throttle at say 900 or 1000 and takes you on a trip without your foot being anywhere near the pedal.

5. Tach bounce at idle.
            There's a fluctuation in the tach at idle.

Let me say that I am thrilled with the engine at speed.. it has enough power to launch you and everything else into next week. I seriously dislike the truck at low speeds and feel it needed more time on the proving grounds. If anybody else has had similar/issues concerns I'd love to know about them and what the dealer did or didn't do.

Thanks.

Yes, there seems to an issue with the ecoboost. Not that a dealer will admit to it. I have similar issues with my 2011 F150. Seems to have a slight miss in the engine intermittently, trans acts like it shutters intermittently under towing/loaded condition. Took vehicle to dealer and the report was that nothing is wrong. They test drove a new F150 right off the lot, and it had the same symptoms. The dealer said that there are a lot of systems working at one time. Engine control, trans shifting and trans braking (down shifting), turbo management, and it seems that some times they will conflict with each other. But that is normal or at least until Ford recognizes there is an issue. Well daaaah, of corse all of the systems work at the same time, the vehicle is running. If one of the systems doesn't operate, then the truck wont run. So all I have for you is that wait until Ford looks into these issues, but that won't happen until 30% of buyers make serious complaints. Keep going back to the dealer and develop a history record of the issues. After all it's still under warranty.

i bet bob isnt haveing these issues with his new chev
            the victim had semen on his trousers

Comment

Wow GM is killing Ford in sales on cars. Did the bail out help Gm and hurt Ford? Or is that paid back already. Where is the volt on sales? Have not seen any driving around. Know 2 guy with ford ecoboost no problem yet.
              90 5.0 GT New combo
              11.84 @ 113 1.64 60' Dynoed 428hp 419tq Dyno Vid Dyno sheet

Comment

Originally posted by fastkeen View Post
                Wow GM is killing Ford in sales on cars. Did the bail out help Gm and hurt Ford? Or is that paid back already. Where is the volt on sales? Have not seen any driving around. Know 2 guy with ford ecoboost no problem yet.

I know of someone who has a volt, loves the thing and gets great milage.

Comment

Originally posted by fastkeen View Post
                  Here's my view on the whole did take and didn't take Gov bailout $$$.

Ford and GM were both trying to re-structure their debt before the economic collapse.

If we think back a few years, Bill Ford Jr. tried running the company and almost bankrupt it. He was smart enough to realize he couldn't get the job done and brought in Mulally from Boeing.

That was a wise decision because Mulally immediately saw all the unprofitable divisions and dumped them. He also demanded better quality and the results speak for themselves today...a vast improvement from 2006. When the market crashed, Mullaly had already pocketed enough cash from the waste he'd cut and selling off unprofitable divisions.

Rick Wagoner of GM worked for years trying to re-negotiate the decades of promised union benefits they had no way of paying if they were to compete with other manufacturers. Their operating costs were out of control (kinda like the government's costs today--without getting political). I think Wagoner did a good job but Obama made him resign as if the overwhelming union benefit commitments were totally his fault. (Remember...GM had always been called Generous Motors instead of General Motors). Like paying people not to come to work??? There's no way he could change decades of commitments in such a short time. He felt he had to do that before trimming unprofitable divisions, but the market collapsed and they were hemmoraging $$$ as if a jugular vein had been cut.

People can spout off about GM taking bailout money but if GM failed, Ford would have also failed because the suppliers would have folded and without suppliers Ford and even Toyota could have also collapsed without suppliers being able to provide parts. That's why Mulally went to capitol hill with Wagoner and Chrysler execs asking for help.

Here's an interesting clip from the Ford to Mulally transition then and where they stand now.

I'm happy for Ford. They're 10 times a better company than the posers from Toyota.

Wish I had bought stock @ $1.43 share, but in '08 who was buying anything?

AP File PhotoIn this Jan. 26, 2010 file photo, Ford Motor Co. President and Chief Executive Officer Alan Mulally, talks about Ford's progress during the economic recession, during a news conference at the Washington Auto Show in Washington.
                  Ford Motor Co., which turned its biggest profit in more than a decade last year, has rewarded CEO Alan Mulally with stock worth $56.5 million before taxes.

The man who hired Mulally, Executive Chairman Bill Ford Jr., also got stock worth $42.4 million.

The Dearborn, Michigan, company disclosed the stock in filings Monday with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, and the shares were granted to the men on Thursday, when they closed at $14.76. Several other top executives also received stock awards.

Ford was in financial peril late in 2006 when Bill Ford removed himself as CEO and hired Mulally away from aviation giant Boeing Co. Under Mulally, the company mortgaged its assets to borrow more than $23 billion, allowing it to weather the recession. It avoided filing for bankruptcy or following General Motors Co. and Chrysler Group LLC in taking government aid.

Mulally is widely credited with turning the company around, raising the quality of its cars and trucks and shifting its model lineup from trucks and sport utility vehicles to smaller vehicles such as crossovers.

In 2006, the year Mulally was hired, Ford lost $12.6 billion. But last year the company made $6.6 billion, its best year since 1999, and sales were up almost 20 percent.

Ford spokesman John Stoll said the stock awards were part of compensation packages that were disclosed in filings from previous years. "We align executive compensation to company performance and long-term shareholder value," Stoll said.

Ford's stock in January closed at a five-year high of $18.79 after falling to as low as $1.43 in 2008, when the future of Ford and its Detroit rivals was uncertain.

But the shares have since fallen to around $14 after Ford announced fourth-quarter earnings that fell short of Wall Street expectations and gas prices started to rise due to turmoil in the Middle East.

Mulally received 3.8 million shares worth $14.76 each on Thursday, according to the filing. But the company withheld 1.56 million shares worth $23 million to pay taxes on the stock award, giving Mulally a net award worth about $33.4 million.

Bill Ford got 2.87 million shares worth $14.76 each, and the company withheld 1.17 million shares to pay $17.3 million in taxes, giving him a net stock award valued at $25 million.

Mulally also will get another 543,734 shares as of March 3, 2013, and he has options to buy another 884,433 shares over the next 10 years at $14.76 each. But those options now are worthless because he can buy the stock for less on the open market. Ford stock closed Monday at $14.01.

Bill Ford also will get another 253,742 shares in March of 2013, and he has options to buy another 412,735 shares at $14.76 over the next 10 years. Like Mulally's options, those also are now worthless because the option price is higher than Ford's trading price.

Ford shares rose 31 cents, or 2.2 percent, to $14.32 in morning trading Tuesday.