• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss 302 vs Camaro SS

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/m...eview-feature/
    90 5.0 GT New combo
    11.84 @ 113 1.64 60' Dynoed 428hp 419tq Dyno Vid Dyno sheet

Pretty interesting article and the new 302 is impressive.

I'm not sure why they'd match up a 444 HP 6-speed against a lower hp automatic.

And the woman with the Aussie accent doesn't understand why there's such a disparity?
    1. 444 hp vs 400 hp
    2. A 6-speed with 3.66 1st gear vs an automatic
    3. 3632 curb weight vs. 3902. (we all know that 100 lbs generally = .10 sec in the 1/4 mile)
    4. The "Larson/Sloss" jump start. We all know in a drag race--that inches turn into feet.

Regardless--the new Boss 302 is a very respectable example of new muscle. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Can I sing the usual Ford argument that the Chevy has 1.2L more of displacement or is that in poor taste?

The Boss302 is hot for sure, but there is nothing wrong with the Camaro and I bet a manual trans would have helped the Chevy side a bit more..

Dan
      1966 Mustang Fastback 2+2
      2012 Ford Mustang GT convertible
      2013 Ford F-150 FX4 ECOBOOST
      1971 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454 Clone

and others. :)

Comment

I was just telling a couple guys that a Ford response would be the 6.2 liter comeback. lol

Kinda like a guy with a GN will say they only have a 6 cyl or a Cobra guy will say they only have 281 cubes.

Regardless of cubes--it doesn't take a brain surgeon to tell the odds of a 3632lb 444 hp car vs a 3900lb 400hp car outcome.

My Camaro would be a better match for the Boss 302 when comparing weight/hp (Mine has less hp but is slightly lighter). I guarantee the outcome would not be the same. lol

I've driven the new Camaro with a 6-speed 425 hp. It certainly is refined and a quality car to drive. But in my opinion, based on weight and Hp I feel that when my 2000 was stock, it would outrun one.

Comment

Originally posted by DNeinstadt View Post
          Can I sing the usual Ford argument that the Chevy has 1.2L more of displacement or is that in poor taste?

The Boss302 is hot for sure, but there is nothing wrong with the Camaro and I bet a manual trans would have helped the Chevy side a bit more..

Dan
          If that's the case Dan, Why do a lot of Cobra owners that have supercharged 600RWHP only run in the mid 11's and guys with N/A Camaros can run mid 11's?

I am sure the Camaro will soon have a new found power as time goes on. 4.6 cars are a prime example of too many moving parts that blow up when moded. The 4.6 N/A IMO is one of the slowest cars I have ever driven. I Just drove a new Camaro a few weeks ago nice and fast, But I have not driven a new 5.0 car so untill I do I cannot praise or bash the car. Well I guess I could bash it as I am a GM guy.:rotfl:

Comment

How about this "Super Snake"?

Dan prolly has an extra $100k cash to buy one of these beasts...

Actually Joe should have kept his dough he spent at Hi Tech and used it for a down payment on a $50k GT500 or a $41k Boss 302 or one of these Super Snakes.

Shelby American today announced its plan to unveil the 2012 Shelby GT500 Super Snake at the New York Auto Show.
            “Shelby American has a rich history at the New York International Auto Show,” said John Luft, president of Shelby American Inc. “The very first Shelby car was introduced there in 1962, as well as the 1968 and 2008 Shelby GT500KR and the 2006 Shelby Hertz GT-H. This year, we’re returning with one of the most powerful and important Shelbys ever built.”
            According to the company, the Super Snake will pack the most horsepower ever from an American muscle car introduced at the show, 800 to be exact. The car is legal in all 50 states and owners will be able to use pump gas. Among the many upgrades used to make this kind of power is a Shelby/Kenne Bell supercharger, which, not surprisingly, voids any remaining powertrain warranty from Ford.
            Other goodies include:
            • Borla exhaust system
            • Forged Shelby / Baer brakes with six-piston calipers
            • Fiberglass hood with classic Shelby design and pins
            • Ford Racing handling pack that includes dynamic adjustable dampers, lower springs, tuned stabilizerbars and front strut brace
            The base price for a 2012 Shelby Mustang GT500 Super Snake is $82,894 according to Shelby American’s Web site, including the cost of a donor Ford Mustang GT. The 800-horsepower supercharger option is an extra $1500 on its own, but we suspect you’ll want to budget a total of closer to $100,000 for a few more Shelby-optional cooling and suspension modifications with that kind of power. Customers (and dreamers) can build their own Super Snake at http://shelbyamerican.com/buildhome.asp.
            Along with the Super Snake, Shelby also plans to show off its 2012 GT350 coupe and convertible.
            Source: Shelby American

Comment

Rather have the boss. $82000 and it still probley only runs low 11s. Dumb that they ran the SS with the auto. Camaro needs to lose some lbs. How far you think the chevy push rod tech will go vs Fords 4valve 4 cams? Think simple is better less things to worry about in the chevy.
              90 5.0 GT New combo
              11.84 @ 113 1.64 60' Dynoed 428hp 419tq Dyno Vid Dyno sheet

Comment

Wow! 82K that is some jing for a car.

Comment

Originally posted by fastkeen View Post
                  Rather have the boss. $82000 and it still probley only runs low 11s. Dumb that they ran the SS with the auto. Camaro needs to lose some lbs. How far you think the chevy push rod tech will go vs Fords 4valve 4 cams? Think simple is better less things to worry about in the chevy.
                  I agree with you. The Boss 302 is one nice machine. I dunno--I constantly hear about how bad the Mustang looks but I think the Boss looks damned good.

The Camaro gained weight because people complained that it didn't have independent rear so they added it and now people complain about it being too heavy. Ford managed to make the Mustang handle as well or better than one with IRS. That's impressive too.

GM has done an amazing job with the push rod motors. Look at how much power they're able to get out of the Z06 and ZR1. Not only massive power but great mpg too and with only one cam lol.

One last thing...The Boss 302 redlines @ 7500 rpm. Maybe I'm oversimplifying but does anyone believe that an engine which needs to rev to 7500 with massive valvetrain/multiple cams and rotational mass will last as long as a LSx powertrain making the same power at let's say 6200-6500 rpm?

Comment

The Boss 302 is badass, but for that kind of money I will just stick to the new 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by Z28SSMAN
                      I was just telling a couple guys that a Ford response would be the 6.2 liter comeback. lol
                      Hey, when an excuse works, ya gotta use it!

Originally posted by MR.hp View Post
                      If that's the case Dan, Why do a lot of Cobra owners that have supercharged 600RWHP only run in the mid 11's and guys with N/A Camaros can run mid 11's?
                      Bad drivers. I'm one of 'em. :)

Originally posted by MR.hp View Post
                      The 4.6 N/A IMO is one of the slowest cars I have ever driven.
                      AMEN. 96-98 Mustangs are TURDS. DOHC are a bit better in 96-98, in '99 they F'd up the Cobra with a bit shy HP #'s, came back a LITTLE in '01, and in '03 decided to supercharge the DOHC as Ford finally figured out the big ol' 4V motors needed more air. :)

Originally posted by Z28SSMAN
                      Dan prolly has an extra $100k cash to buy one of these beasts...
                      Nope. One of my cars just sold and even my Cobra might even be for sale soon, times are tough in the "D9" residence these days. TCS isn't paying millions as promised.

Comment

Originally posted by DNeinstadt View Post
                        TCS isn't paying millions as promised.

All time Quote of the year :rotfl:

Comment

If TCS is not paying well Dan, Maybe you need a TCO bailout:lol2:danc:lol2:

Comment

Could be... :)

Comment

Working...
                            X