Eco-Boost article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eco-Boost article

In my opinion--this is just the "tip of the iceberg". I can't recall anyone saying a LSx GM engine shakes and loses power under acceleration.

Wonder how that 60,000 mile powertrain warranty is gonna work out for these poor suckers.

So far, 3 have felt the need to sue in FEDERAL court. At least 100 have complained to the NHTSA. Other blindly loyal Ford owners that have experienced problems are so loyal they'll never want anyone to know they have a pile of do-do for a motor, so they are as quiet as a church mouse.

http://news.yahoo.com/ford-owners-su...210451248.html

I have a 2013 SHO with the Ecoboost V6 and no issues here (I only use 93 octane fuel).
    So...a 403 hp GM runs on 87 octane without any issues, but a V-6 needs 93 octane?

Yeah there was a few TSB's on intercoolers that caused this problem. The article states there wasn't a recall but Ford did issue a TSB on this problem. They redesigned the intercooler and fixed the issue of condensation. Not all trucks are affected so no recall is necessary...

Relatively old news but a recent article.

And the Ecoboost does not require 93 octane.
    1966 Mustang Fastback 2+2
    2012 Ford Mustang GT convertible
    2013 Ford F-150 FX4 ECOBOOST
    1971 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454 Clone

and others. :)

Comment

I stand corrected. Doesn't require 93, but the owners I've talked to say they use it.

Like I've said...I'd be concerned about a 60,000 mile powertrain warranty on that motor. Oh well...not my problem though.

Comment

I think they should call it Squeak O Boost.

Comment

That's to bad for Ford. Hope they go down in flames for producing a sub par engine that is junk.
          90 5.0 GT New combo
          11.84 @ 113 1.64 60' Dynoed 428hp 419tq Dyno Vid Dyno sheet

Comment

Lol. fastkeen, uhh...I don't really want Ford to go down in flames.

Comment

I know one thing there are a ton of people who think that some of the LSX engines should have been recalled for oil burning and piston slap problems but GM kind of swept that under the rug saying it's normal. Ask Steve with the Black Formula, I am sure he will agree with me on this, his car huffed oil and made noise untill the put a new short block in the car.

Comment

My Camaro has always had "piston slap" when cold. I personally feel I would have been an idiot to demand a different motor just because it has a little noise. Yeah...it's been a real problem engine.--I've had to really do a lot to it over the past few years---like change the oil. While others in town have blown up and or changed multiple engines, mine is the same trouble free original equipment motor. If Steve had been the owner--he would probably have demanded GM replace the engine.

I've personally sold a few hundred GMs with the LSx engines. I never had 1 person say they were oil burners. Had a few that complained about a few noises, but most didn't hone in on it and spend their time listening to just that noise. Some people have nothing better to do though. My wife's boss bought a new Silverado from me and after her friends convinced her she had bought a truck with a problem noisy engine, only then did she complain. I asked her to meet me in the shop to discuss a solution.

I started the truck and tried to hear this mysterious noise. We had to bring the engine to 2000 rpm and let off, and at about 1100 rpm I could hear a slight noise. I really had to listen carefully (after turning the radio and fan blower off). I looked at her eye to eye and told her to DRIVE the truck. Well she still owns the truck and it has near 200k. I saw her and hubby recently and they still talk about how it has been the best vehicle they've owned.

So...there is no comparison to the LSx engine noises to the current Eco-Boost shudders and loss of power.

I used to sell cars to people who would find every flaw they could. Some wanted every flaw fixed that you just about had to use a magnifying glass to see. There were some who would crawl underneath and complain about a little surface rust on an axle tube. Those were the types of people I felt it wasn't worth the commission on the sale and I'd give it to someone else. Wasn't worth the hassle.

Comment

All auto manufacturers screw up. I'm sure that Ford will get their turbo engines worked out, like others have done. Not that I actually think it's even a remote possibility - but I certainly wouldn't want to see Ford go down the crapper. Competition is good. So is an easy meal now & then.

Face it folks - barring some phenomenal breakthrough in technology, the future of spark-ignition automotive engines will be turbocharging & direct-injection. Aside from performance-oriented hybrids that use the electric motor to give a small-displacement, higher-revving engine the low-end & mid-range torque of a large-displacement engine, there is nothing else on the immediate horizon that can provide the performance that we expect out of our cars, yet still be efficient enough to meet the new corporate gas mileage regs that go into effect in a few years. As the saying goes - the laws of thermodynamics heavily favor turbocharged engines....

Joel
                  There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

Comment

Yeah Joel, the problem that I have with Ford is the hype. They tout the wide open throttle durability test (I think it was WOT for 500 miles?) to imply that a new owner can experience that same durability, while that's simply not the case. Also, if they're so frickin durable--why only a 60,000 mi warranty?

I guess I shouldn't be surprised how people fall for the hype on just about everything from Eco-Boost to politics.

Comment

Another article from the truck with all the hype. I noticed a commercial Ford is running where the driver says "the Chev is struggling". Looks like the Eco-Boost is the one struggling---with dependability.

What a bunch of posers.

http://news.yahoo.com/us-investigati...162055112.html

Another guy chimes in...(same thing I experienced with companies who decided to switch to Ford from Chev)...
                      I commend Ford for hawking everything they own instead of taking taxpayer dollars. I will always root for them, but I will never be a fan. I think the media has pumped Ford up to be some super reliable, back from the ashes company, which isn't entirely true. The proof is in the amount of recalls and horrible lease options. The vehicles aren't worth #$%$ after three years, so they only offer 2/21k miles. That says a lot. My first and last ownership experience with Ford was a brand new 1997 F-350 Powerstroke. Dealer bought it back after mediation. Junk. I do have lots of experience with them as work trucks, though. Our municipality decided to switch from Chev to Ford, and they have regretted it ever since. Auto trans problems, front suspension problems, steering problems, etc. And these are new trucks to only a couple years old. Most with less than 30k. To be fair, we service the local cruisers too, and the Charger can't hold a candle to the old Crown Vics.

Comment

I towed with my wifes new Silverado and except for the decell downshift into 3rd once and a while it pulls great along with almost 14 mpg to boot. Her truck never struggles at all and I am sure that they did not have the truck on the commercial using tow haul mode. When Glenn and I towed my Camaro to a dyno session one time with a 6.0 Esclade, it was the best towing truck I had ever used.

Comment

Building reliable turbocharged gas engines for cars that spend the vast majority of their time in a low throttle/low load condition with relatively short-lived high-throttle/high-load excursions is pretty much old-hat nowadays, and it is no longer all that expensive. However, building a reliable turbocharged gas engine that spends most of its time in a high-throttle/high load condition with the turbo spooled-up tight (lugging-engine app) requires top-notch (read expensive) engineering & materials. That's why the towing ratings of passenger cars with optional turbo engines are often a lot lower with the turbo engine than the n/a engine.

I prefer turbocharged engines over n/a in passenger cars, but I don't think I'd want one in a gasoline-powered pickup or SUV unless it was as overbuilt as a big-rig engine. If I needed that much towing power, I'd probably just go with a turbodiesel anyway.

Joel
                          There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

Comment

Yeah Joel, I can see why many people like turbocharged engines. The Buick V-6 has been quite the powertrain. The torque is really cool.

My son's factory turbocharged Typhoon is impressive for an Suv. After we put it back together from a pooched head gasket, He drove it down to CFR and ran consistent 12.80s with it. Pea-shooter turbo, factory intercooler, no headers and stock converter. The truck is really quite heavy.

All said and done, though---it's a hard truck to work on. Not my cup of tea, but I enjoy seeing him run that well with it for what it is and weight. I dunno...from my experience with working on his and seeing how finicky turbo cars can be, I just couldn't own one.

Take JR's TTA for example. He has so many gadgets on it that he's constantly messing with, it's just too complicated for me. Plus...you don't see many of them wanting to race when it's hot out. He gets eager to go out when the air is cool and crisp. Then he's the first to say--"great turbo weather". Any other time? Nope too hot out.

I guess I'm spoiled with my SS. No need for race gas (won't run on it)--run it over and over without worrying about heat--just flip the aux fan over ride switch. No worrying about boost spikes, wastegate issues, belt slippage (s/c cars). 20 mpg avg. while driving spirited. I guess I've gotten lazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Z28SSMAN View Post
                              My son's factory turbocharged Typhoon is impressive for an Suv. After we put it back together from a pooched head gasket, He drove it down to CFR and ran consistent 12.80s with it. Pea-shooter turbo, factory intercooler, no headers and stock converter. The truck is really quite heavy.

All said and done, though---it's a hard truck to work on. Not my cup of tea, but I enjoy seeing him run that well with it for what it is and weight. I dunno...from my experience with working on his and seeing how finicky turbo cars can be, I just couldn't own one.

Take JR's TTA for example. He has so many gadgets on it that he's constantly messing with, it's just too complicated for me. Plus...you don't see many of them wanting to race when it's hot out. He gets eager to go out when the air is cool and crisp. Then he's the first to say--"great turbo weather". Any other time? Nope too hot out.

I guess I'm spoiled with my SS. No need for race gas (won't run on it)--run it over and over without worrying about heat--just flip the aux fan over ride switch. No worrying about boost spikes, wastegate issues, belt slippage (s/c cars). 20 mpg avg. while driving spirited. I guess I've gotten lazy.
                              Yeah they are not fun trucks to work on at all that's for sure. Requires a lot of patience and also lots of funds. Granted the turbo technology from 21 years ago isn't the same as it is today. Look at all the power the ZL1/ZR1s are making now a days. Turbocharged/Supercharged cars today are in a different league.

I'd bet a good amount of money that Camaro with a nice little Procharger setup would shut down quite a bit of local guys...

Comment

Working...
                              X