GM #1 in truck sales for 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM #1 in truck sales for 2015

After bragging about the new aluminum body--the highly touted eco-boost and other gimmicks--GM's full size trucks finished #1 for 2015 with 824,683 units Silverado/Sierra.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/01...mber-2015.html

They may be number one in sales , but I'm not impressed with build quality so far. My 2015 with only 1500 miles on it has leaking transmission cooler lines. Great job GM.

Thanks for the lack of a dipstick, too, so I can't even check the fluid level myself.

Ugh.

Randy
    www.NorthstarDetailSupply.com
    Green four door Chevy

Comment

1500 miles and a cooler leak would be disappointing, but that should be an easy fix. Uhh...your warranty should still be good at 1500 miles. lol. I thought there was a tsb on trans cooler lines not being totally seated in the fitting and they were sending out notices.

Not many vehicles now have conventional trans dipsticks. They are sealed from possible contaminants or overfilling. Here's where the F150 guys find their trans dipstick. GM could have made a provision like it but I'd trust a GM trans without a dipstick over a Ford trans with a dipstick anyday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcXkDSPkwVE

My T56 has no trans dipstick.

Comment

It should be an easy fix, and it is under warranty. The dealer has the parts coming in UPS next day, even, and they are replacing the lines, the manifold at the transition, and the manifold gasket. It is just the hassle factor of dropping the truck off and getting a loaner. I bought a new truck so my wife would have a reliable vehicle as I travel a lot, so having warranty work in the first 1500 miles is kind of a bummer. The dealer didn't indicate any TSB and seemed shocked to see a leak where the lines go in and out of the trans.

As a "car guy", I like to keep tabs on my vehicles by checking the fluids. I understand many people would rather have a light come on and take it to the dealer, but not me. I also don't like others touching my vehicles, so I'm bummed that it has to go back for service.

The Ford procedure looks similar to the GM process that the owner's manual states "return to dealer for special service procedure". Both my wife and I wish a T56 was an option on a Silverado....we'd check that box off first! I like the simple drain plug and fill design.

My point is that every vehicle has their issues and there isn't a perfect automaker.

Randy
        Green four door Chevy

Comment

My original post wasn't ever meant to say GM trucks were without fault, only to show data that contrary to what Ford has bombarded us with on TV about being #1, GM was the best selling full size truck for 2015. Manifold gasket on a brand new truck? Hope its not an actual intake manifold.

Comment

Not the intake manifold. They call the part that connects both cooler lines to the trans a manifold. It is basically just an aluminum block.

We didn't even look at Ford's as they weren't discounting them as much. I think we got more truck for the money.

My friend's new Dodge has a recall on the rear axle shafts for a hardening issue and well..... it is still a Dodge.

Hopefully, GM isn't plagued with problems after selling all those trucks.
            Green four door Chevy

Comment

I found this tsb (actually a recall) but it's for 2014 pickups

Recall Number: 14V152000
              Recall Date: 03/31/2014
              Component: POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:COOLING UNIT AND LINES

Problem Summary: GENERAL MOTORS LLC (GM ) IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2014 CHEVROLET SILVERADO LIGHT DUTY REGULAR CAB, DOUBLE CAB, AND CREW CAB 1500 SERIES AND MODEL YEAR 2015 SUBURBAN AND TAHOE; GMC MODEL YEAR 2014 SIERRA REGULAR CAB, DOUBLE CAB, AND CREW CAB 1500 SERIES AND MODEL YEAR 2015 YUKON AND YUKON XL VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 6-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION (FEATURE CODE MYC). THE SUBJECT VEHICLES MAY HAVE A TRANSMISSION OIL COOLER LINE THAT IS NOT SECURELY SEATED IN THE FITTING.

Consequence: IF THE LINE IS NOT SECURELY SEATED AND TRANSMISSION OIL LEAKS FROM THE FITTING, THE OIL COULD CONTACT A HOT SURFACE AND CAUSE A VEHICLE FIRE.

What Owners Should Do: GM WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE TRANSMISSION OIL COOLER LINE CONNECTION AND REPAIR THE VEHICLES, AS NEEDED, FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON APRIL 28, 2014. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-866-694-6546 OR GMC OWNERS MAY CONTACT GMC AT 1-866-996-9463. GM'S NUMBER FOR THIS RECALL IS 14121.

Read more at http://www.cars.com/recalls/chevrole...HtWhCghYK2u.99

Comment

Thanks for the link , but my truck has the eight speed auto so I don't know if it applies. Typically, GM has problems with the crimping of the lines in my experience.

The 6 speed auto still has the dipstick, too.

I'm hoping it is just a fluke that mine has a leak.
                Green four door Chevy

Comment

Working...
                X