X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHRA Driver speaks out against street racing

Interesting, let's have a disscusion on this

http://www.nhra.com/content/news/27251.htm

Only takes 4 words to solve the problem.

Build more fuggin tracks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

And let's make it so the guys can just race all day and have some fun and let the braket racers do their thing on their own day. I just want to go race and race all the people I know heads up.

Comment

interstate is for sale

Comment

I think the members of this board should rent one of the tracks for a day or something. I think if enough people chip in it wouldn't be too expensive. I remember torkflight looked into this a few years back and the price was not too bad per person...

Comment

This story focuses on the maryland crash that killed eight. This tradjedy had nothing to do with street racing, it was a kid with a suspended licence, running from police, speeding with his lights off. The story would have more significance if it wasn't based on a lie. If we had a more local track that was economicly pheasable to attend then I would not street race.

What I'm really much more concerned about are the dangers of parade accidents. Google "parade accident" and you will discover a horrific death toll that is out of control. These deaths are real and not fabricated by a liberal media spin. This summer there are going to be over 300 parade deaths and yet there is no effort being made to stop them.

Comment

Some of the problem here is that there is no place but Grove Creek that is really local
              and inerstate is a long drive. There are ways to make places to race when the real NHRA
              got this started in the 50's they got the use of abandoned air bases or other places to get the guys off the streets.

Renting a track would be nice but we would need a lot of people and if we could do it with some of the other clubs in the area it might work and be affordable and we could have some good grudge runs. I am up for it.

Comment

I talked to some people that run the reliever airports and asked if there was a way they could open a run for use could make some good extra money. The response was the liabilty would be too high. It would be cool if Elko or raceway park could build a strip. They would make good money and get a lot of the racing off the street.

Comment

Originally posted by ReRod View Post
                  I think the members of this board should rent one of the tracks for a day or something. I think if enough people chip in it wouldn't be too expensive. I remember torkflight looked into this a few years back and the price was not too bad per person...
                  there was a group of us that were going to rent grove creek for a day last spring, it never happend but it was going to cost something like 1200 dollars for the day, we had 20 of us that were going to do it so that would have been only 60 dollars each, I am sure we could get more than 20 people to go so it would be a pretty cheap day to go out and race each other and talk some shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5aBGVPVe0g

Comment

Originally posted by torkflight View Post
                    there was a group of us that were going to rent grove creek for a day last spring, it never happend but it was going to cost something like 1200 dollars for the day, we had 20 of us that were going to do it so that would have been only 60 dollars each, I am sure we could get more than 20 people to go so it would be a pretty cheap day to go out and race each other and talk some shit.
                    Would we get a discount if the tree didn't work..

I have no time for Grove or 1/8 mile tracks, but for something like that I would be interested...

Comment

Originally posted by speedo View Post
                      Would we get a discount if the tree didn't work..
                      Don't worry... I'll be

:lol:

Comment

This summer there are going to be over 300 parade deaths and yet there is no effort being made to stop them.
                        Can't figure out why it won't say "originally posted by big block fiero"

Anyway that is one of the major reasons the police disperse the big crowds on University Avenue every summer. Its pretty pathetic that a metropolitan area of our size has to drive such a great distance to the closest 1/4 mile track. After driving all that way and depending on the particular weekend you go there you may be lucky to get more than a few passes and track conditions are a crapshoot. I remember the "track" down on Pigs Eye Rd years ago. Its fortunate that mass fatalities didn't happen down there with the narrow roadway and people standing within inches of cars as they went by.

Comment

I have nothing against parades, I was just pointing out that the media hasn't decided to bash parades like they do street racing. We don't have a track within one hour of the twin cities so yes I will street race and statistically I am safer then I would be at a parade.

Several of the racers in the story seem to be speaking from platitudes rather then substance. I'm sure several participated in the story and opinions because they wanted to be included with the group.

At a cross country racing event that covers several miles there is always the possibility that someone may loose control in a turn, hit a tree or something with the ambulance service not being to near or even the possibility that no one would have seen them leave the roadway. Having the ambulance there doesn't change the outcome to much. This is less safe then drag racing is at a track but its all OK because it's a sanctioned event and hasn't been given the label of being "ILLEGAL".
                          How about snowmobile racing "ice ovals" in eagle river wisconsin. They average about two deaths per year in spite of the ambulance presence BUT its not "ILLEGAL" and as you can see that doesnt make it safe, and not near as safe as street racing in my opinion. The only danger I'm worried about in street racing is in getting caught, ricer mentality or the chaos that happens when the police show up.

Comment

Working...
                          X