Drag strip ahead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drag strip ahead

Grew up drag racing and dont have much time on my hands and i'm young (no money/kid) but I've been doing the SSFR (MSRA) with my dad for a few years now with his car. I have decided to finally take my car this year just for fun.

First off I need new tires.
    After rebuilding the front end last year the front tires were shot. New tires and alignment done.

Still had poly glass tire on the rear? Found a set of rally rims and setup a pair of MT et streets radials. Better than the 35 year old ployglass tires.

Was worried if they would fit.

Got a lot more little things to do.
    Not expecting much but can't wait to actually drive MY car down the strip.
    Your input is welcome.
    What will it run?
    396 BBC
    350 turbo
    12 bolt posi w/3.55 gears

Car should run in the 12 if the combo is right. I know one thing, Getting the carb and timing right is important.
    I can give you one example of how a 396 can go, My last one was in my firebird, It was a 375hp shortblock with my home ported oval port closed chambered heads. The car now has the same trans, 3.55s and other driveline stuff as it did then. Went to the Rock in '98 and the car ran the best of 12.19@110mph through the mufflers, Uncorcked it ran 11.75 then I got the boot, 11.99 roll bar rule back then.

Post up the complete combo and I can give you a better idea of what it will run.

Comment

I like the steel wheel look.Your dad growed ya up good.

Comment

You need to put those disc brake center caps on those wheels. Great looking car.

Comment

Thanks guys. I've looked at chrome wheels but can't find what I like. The old steelies are I guess is what I like.

Question? I know its says if you are running slicks that a driveshaft loop is required. Do they consider the MT et streets as slicks or a just a DOT tire? I have a loop just need to install it if needed.

If it runs a 12.90 i'll be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by bbcmalibu View Post
            Thanks guys. I've looked at chrome wheels but can't find what I like. The old steelies are I guess is what I like.

Question? I know its says if you are running slicks that a driveshaft loop is required. Do they consider the MT et streets as slicks or a just a DOT tire? I have a loop just need to install it if needed.

If it runs a 12.90 i'll be happy.
            The consider the drag radials the same as street tires so no loop needed.
            12.90s should be easy.

Comment

After waking up to snow this morning I lost the drive to get the car ready. But I made it out. I couple little things. Coolant overflow bottle and new fuel line from the tank to the carb.

Comment

Sweet ride.......
                2001 Trans Am All Motor 9.75 @139mph

Comment

My stock 396 closed chamber 69 camaro ran 13.35 ist run out wo any tuning, should def run 12's w a little work.

Comment

It is what it is.First time out,it is a learning experience, Build from there.Read the plugs,bump the timing for the best MPH,then work on getting the thing to hook up. Tire pressures,launch technique. Mind set. You will do fine.
                    Drag Racing,just you,me,and the tree!!

Comment

Well, I'll say it again...I really like your '65.

My advice if you're interested? Just run the car and whatever it runs, keep tweaking it until you get the best ET and DRIVEABILITY out of it.

Set your goals high but realistic and you'll be happier for longer than most who get frustrated and give up.

Two last things:
                      1. Racing can be extremely rewarding but also very frustrating.
                      2. If it were easy, then everyone would be doing it.

Let us know if we can help

Comment

Thanks guys. Just going out to have some fun. Everytime I work on it I picture myself rolling into the burnout box!

Nothing Planned this Easter weekned so to all of you Happy Easter.

Comment

Originally posted by bbcmalibu View Post
                          Thanks guys. Just going out to have some fun. Everytime I work on it I picture myself rolling into the burnout box!

Nothing Planned this Easter weekned so to all of you Happy Easter.
                          Happy Easter to you also. Let us know when you go to the track maybe we can help. I just got most of my weekends off this year so I can do a little more racing later on.

Comment

Lots of good progress lately. Fuel system finished. Coolant over flow in, re-built carb and kind of tuned. Tires on and stickers removed thanks to the motor. End of August will be heading to BIR for the MSRA SSFR. My only snag is a trailer right now. Anyone know a good place to rent for a weekend for cheap?

Comment

Drive it up there.
                              www.twintownterrors.com

The Twin Town Terrors are now on Facebook. Like us!

Comment

Working...
                              X