Project 468

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project 468

This look like this is the last engine I do for a while as I have a lot of other things to do besides cars next year.

I just got my rotating assy. back from Gosh racing engines and it's all balanced ready to be put together. here is what I plan to use next year.

1st. the 406 will get some Pro Topline 220 heads, 630 lift roller cam, Dominator Victor intake and a 1050 Dominator to try.

2nd. The 468 will have,

10.6 forged speed pro pistons
    Balanced assy. cast crank with 3/8 GM rods and ARP bolts
    Heads are 781 ported that flow 300 on the bad port and 320 on the good port with a shitty valve job (that someone else did) and I will get them flowed again before I use them.
    I have 2 roller cams to try, both CC
    1st. 623 lift 248° @ .050 on a 110lca
    2nd. 653I 660E 252° and 262° @ .050 on a 110lca
    Several intakes inc. a Dart single plane 4150
    Victor single plane with a Dominator flange and
    Team G single plane intake + the good old Air Gap too.
    Several carbs from 750 to 1050
    I have a set of 2" Hooker Super Comps.

Will be interesting to see how this fairs against the 406 that uses race gas then go to pump gas 468 that should make more TQ.

What do you think it will make? Some have said well over 600hp so the ET slip will tell the truth.

Update today, I got to work on the heads today. Cut all the valves and started checking the seats on the heads, John really wanted to cut the seats for me but since the last 2 sets of heads turned out so well I am going to do these myself. I have a good feeling about my first BB Chevy, I have not not run one in my Camaro in over 10 years.

Comment

Well since it's cold outside again I started working on the heads. All has gone well until I got to the exhaust seat thet had the new guide put in. That is the only one that way off center but I got that sucker done, all the others have been perfect. Hope to get this engine done in the spring but the weather may ruin my plans.I really want to go racing again now that I feel good. Keep you posted and take some pics of this project.

Comment

Should make between 550 and 600 pretty easy. You not going to dyno it?
        5.55@126
        8.67@155
        www.tntraceshop.com

Comment

Originally posted by shagwag View Post
          Should make between 550 and 600 pretty easy. You not going to dyno it?
          Naw I never dyno anything, I just put it in the car and see what it will run. I only dynoed the 406 one time as I got some free dyno time with a circle track team I used to know but they are long gone now. I have either the 781 heads or the 188 sq. ports to use. I think up to 6500 rpm the 781's will be better. How is your new build coming along?

Comment

It's going pretty slow. The long block is together. I have been crazy busy lately so I haven't worked on it much.
            5.55@126
            8.67@155
            www.tntraceshop.com

Comment

So much work, too cold and not enough time.

Comment

Just got started on the 468 short block today. Camaro is off the trailer, hope the weather holds out now.

Comment

Well now it got cold again but I was out in the garage and put the heads on and a piston in and founf that I have over 100 thou. of piston to valve clearance on the intake side and a ton on the exhaust. Things are looking good.

Comment

Had more good news last night, I will not need to get new pushrods as I thought might be the case. All wipe acress the center of the valve tip so one less thing to buy. Looks like a clean up, paint the block and put it together. Hope to try this out this summer.
                    Plenty of carbs and intakes to test on this puppy.

Comment

Is this 468 a "snack" for Joe?

Comment

Originally posted by Z28SSMAN View Post
                        Is this 468 a "snack" for Joe?
                        Cubic inch snacks are almost always tasty for those who get them.

UPDATE: 4 pistons in and 4 to go!

Comment

468 is on hold until further notice. New parts going in the 406 first.

Comment

joe does not need any snacks like this.

Comment

Originally posted by 98 cobra s/c View Post
                              joe does not need any snacks like this.
                              New parts are in the 406 now, sometimes snacks have bad effects on some people:rotfl:

Comment

Working...
                              X