Choosing a Machine Shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GrandmaGold View Post
    Everyone has their own opinion. All the big guys in the Twin City area are all good. I know them all, personally. Only because, I was in the machine shop business for 13 years. I'm getting back into building engines, but not until this summer.

My personal vote for a shop? Aarons Performance in St. Paul. http://www.get-ap.com/index.html Frank is the best cylinder head porter in the area, by far. Yes, Brian is good, but I've had Brian done a set of heads and then sent them to Frank at Aarons and he actually picked up airflow without anymore porting. He actually put Devcon in the port and in a sense, made the port smaller. Last I have seen, Brian only uses a flow bench. Frank uses a bench in combination with a volocity probe. Porting is more than just shoving some air through a port. It's more of a science and in HOW the air gets through there and reshaping the port for that air.

they do all my machining before my drunk ass puts stuff together lol

Comment

They've been there forever, Kellys in Saint Paul.

Comment

I have bought engine parts from there back in the late 70's early 80's..
        Thats almost forever ago??????

Comment

Originally posted by Jumpercables View Post
          They've been there forever, Kellys in Saint Paul.
          Mike Kelly and Mike Jr.? If it is, Sr. has built a few engines for my friend Wade who raced a modified on dirt at Cedar Lake and on asphalt at I94 Raceway in Sauk Center and Fergus Falls Raceway.

I have also heard nothing but good things about Franky at Aaron's as well

Comment

Working...
          X