The build of a Turbo LSx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The build of a Turbo LSx

I'm pretty bored today, so ill start a thread about what ive done to my car. Back in the summer/fall of 2006, I embarked on this project. I started the teardown and sold off pretty much anything that was v6 related. Soon after i removed the body from the frame, boxed it, reinforced the LCA brackets and fixed a little rust along the edge of the floor pans. Everything was sandblasted and painted with POR-15, and reassembled with all poly bushings, body, front and rear suspension. On top of that, new stainless brake lines, and 1/2" fuel lines were added.
    At this point the motor arrived, and I started setting it up, re-doing the harness and assembling the new intake and fuel system. I made the motor mounts and got a driveshaft made, set it in there. Also, since it was my first time doing this extensive of a build, i decided to try making my own hot parts for the turbo. I did a good job with the headers, but when it came to the y-pipe, i just hacked it together with scrap, already deciding that i wanted it differently. This would just have to work for the year when it would be changed again.
    Overall, there was no suprises that weren,t really expected. Everything was relatively easy and the hardest part was the wiring really. So this was the spec sheet for last year:
    6.0L LQ4, 9.4:1 compression
    Lunati 224/224 112 .560 lift. had it from previous build
    7.4" Moly pushrods
    headers by me, 1 3/4 primaries and 3" collectors
    Pro Products Typhoon intake
    65# mototrons
    HP Tuners 2-bar speed density
    Borg Warner S400 turbo, 75mm
    60mm wastegate
    4" downpipe
    4L80E
    stock 1700rpm stall 13" converter
    full length 4" exhaust out the back
    single walbro 340 pump at 43psi, static with no boost reference (it would run out otherwise, and i had enough injector to run it lower for more volume)

Heres some pics of last year and my winter progress
    http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/c...afilter=images

So, i got it running this way, on pump gas (89) and no intercooler. First time to the track, ill just post it up from when i did it, this was from May 15th, 2007:

Well, after a long wait, i finally got a timeslip this weekend. Things didnt go as well as i had hoped, but it worked out decent enough. First off, my trust ol' Red's XP pump took a shit on me shortly after i got the car running, so only 4500rpm and 3psi could be had. Friday night i installed a new walbro 255, and was i ever amazed at how this car moves out over 4k. Anyway, with just a hour or 2 of adjustments being made, i got to the track. It was slick as ice, and I scored some cheap regular radial 255's this week, didnt help much. First run of the day, clipped off a 12.998@115 mph, not a bad way to start, leaving at 1200rpm and letting off on the 1<2 shift when the car went 4 foot to the right. This was followed by a number of runs from 13.000 to 13.5, with mph from 115-118. BTW, my fastes 60' of the day was 2.18, and that was a run i let off on.
    So after pulling some timing, chasing some KR, and getting the fueling close, I actually stay in it though the shifts to find out that its pushing through the shift point and smashing the rev limiter at 6400, what the hell, still havent figured that one out. also the same run, i discover my belt likes to take a hike once i pass 6000.
    Fastest run of the day:
    60' -2.183
    330'-5.758
    660'-8.488
    mph-92.20
    990'-10.705
    E.T.-12.658
    MPH-120.23
    might not seem like much, but you have to consider that this is with a 2.2 60', once i got into high gear i could really lean into it and get the boost up. max boost was 4psi in 1st, 7psi in 2nd, and 10psi in drive, all runs were made with just wastegate boost, no boost controller was used, and manifold was connected directly to WG, Also this was made with between 5-8 degrees of advance only and 89 octane fuel. I didnt know how early my tires would hold power, and it ended up working pretty good this way, nice slow and smooth power delivery. Anyway, this car is pretty impressive.

So, i spent some time fine tuning things, and 4th of july i went to the brainerd show and go. Here i met grey1 on the board, an made some passes. I could have done alot better, but i got some severe alcohol poisoning and was puking in the staging lanes and in the car, it was fun though. so heres the post i made about that.

This is from July 4th, 2007:
    put the drag radials back on, put some premium in it for the first time. Turned the boost up to 13psi, 10-11 degrees timing, non intercooled.
    Stock converter is REALLY holding me back at this point, i was only able to build 2psi on the footbrake, 2200rpm. Honestly, its killing me. Guys in the other lane were putting 2-3 cars on me out of the hole.
    ANyway
    raceweight was 3770lbs, on the return road
    3540ft DA
    2psi launch, no tire spin

60' - 2.11
    1/8- 7.88
    MPH-99.6
    1000-10.00
    1/4 - 11.76
    MPH- 126.3

My computer was showing about 625 crank hp. a quick run in a dragstrip sim shows that to be pretty close. But also it shows 500+hp from 4800rpm up. Another thing is its showing 500+ft lbs from 3000rpm in 1st gear (thats at about 3.5psi) until i let off, with an average of about 545ft lbs.
    BTW, i didnt realize until the launch that i forgot to take the street tires out of the trunk. the next run i scaled in at 3620lbs, Coulda had an 11.5! dam!

Comment

Heres a couple vids from later in the year, around september i think. The car had no problems whatsoever the entire summer, except for the belt problems. I put about 10k miles on it, and suprisingly pulled a couple tanks over 22mpg on road trips.

On this run, i was racing a pretty built Evo 8. This thing has a bigger turbo, cams, full built trans, methanol, AEM standalone, you name it. He ran low 11s at the track, and i gave him some room, and the move. also i shortshifted into drive around 4500rpm.
      http://youtube.com/watch?v=cve1y9G5W2g
      This race was heads up, still about 9psi for me and 25-27 on the evo. I had him by about 5-6 cars at the end
      http://youtube.com/watch?v=_80Zh3KAly8
      This race was against my buddies RX-7 that is now getting the V8. It was a ported rotary with a GT42 on it, and was a high 11 car. About 2500lbs.
      http://youtube.com/watch?v=WC5YJgW6I4A

And, finally, heres a video of me out dicking around by my place, was trying to see what my exhaust really sounds like.
      http://youtube.com/watch?v=Jq531vXOm9Q

Comment

Anyway, theres a quick overview of my build, i dont have alot of the actual build pics but you get the idea. In the photobucket link, you can see the progress ive had over the winter. Making new hot parts, switching to a manual rack and pinion, and putting the A/C and heat back on it. Along with that, full paintjob under the hood, and i removed the dash and re-did all the interior wiring and added a bunch of sound deadener and heat barrier.
        As far as mods, i picked up a 10" 3200 stall fuddle converter, and today i ordered a 9" 31 spline moser axles, 11" disks for the back and a spool. Also i scored a set of 3.07 gears from a winston cup car to go in it. Im going to try for 30mpg highway and still be able to run a 11.5 on 89 octane, that to me is the ultimate definition of a street car. I think with a little 93 in the tank and a little more boost, i could run a 10.5 pretty easily, and possibly closer to a 10.0. I guess we'll see come summer if its possible.

Comment

sweet build!

Comment

Originally posted by Grr View Post
            And, finally, heres a video of me out dicking around by my place, was trying to see what my exhaust really sounds like.
            http://youtube.com/watch?v=Jq531vXOm9Q

THis is prob the coolest ameratur vid that I have seen. Bad ass car man! Some day I ll have a GN!

Comment

sounds beautiful awesome car man

Comment

Today i got the motor set in the chassis again. Man does it look sweet, I also put the manifolds on to check out clearances for the downpipe and placement of O2 bungs. Hopefully the 9" will get here tomorrow, and i plan on getting the harness all wired in this week.

http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc192/Grrh77/

Comment

Well done

Comment

MMMMMMM, got some new goodies today! Quick Performance G-body 9" with 31 spline axles, spool, and 11 disk brakes! Gotta work all weekend, but hopefully i will have this in monday or tuesday

Comment

what you want for your old rear?

-Aaron
                      87 cutlass
                      76 olds 350/t56 3.73's
                      87 olds 442 - old mans ride
                      355 sbc, th200-4r, 3.73's

Comment

sold it for $650 actually. ended up being a pretty cheap upgrade!

Comment

wish i could find deals like that on a rear

-Aaron
                          87 cutlass
                          76 olds 350/t56 3.73's
                          87 olds 442 - old mans ride
                          355 sbc, th200-4r, 3.73's

Comment

I had it advertised all over the place!! you should spend a little more time on craigslist, theres always good stuff on there. Hell it didnt sell until almost 3 weeks after i posted it.

Comment

Got alot of new pics in the link.
                              Most everything is installed. Manifolds were coated with black ceramic and wrapped with 2" DEI black wrapping. Fired up today, once i had oil pressure i put in plugs and plugged in the fuel pump and it started in about 3 revolutions, and it ran just great. Man that was a great feeling, i forgot how much i love the way it sounds. Need to get the bends for the downpipe and another 3" of -10 hose for the other heater line. Also need to assemble the 9" and do a little finish welding at the other shop, make brake lines for the back, and finish the guage panel. Hopefully it will be on the road middle-end of next week.
                              Gary

Comment

Working...
                              X