Textralia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Textralia

Just a tip for the 4th gen guys. I'm pretty happy with my Textralia oz700.

I bought my SS new with 300 miles and the factory clutch would slip from a full throttle 2-3 shift. I had a new Z06 clutch installed as an upgrade under warranty. It was better, but when I put sticky tires on, I smoked it at BIR. It worked ok even afterwards, but I decided to learn how to change it myself and put in another Z06 clutch. They warranted the part and I supplied the labor.

I got tired of it and installed a Clutchmasters kevlar setup, but it vibrated so bad after the install, I was disappointed to say the least. I tried giving it time to break-in and it got a little better, but I ended up damaging the shifter fork trying to full throttle shift with it. I took it out and found out it was a bad pressure plate (only half of it had wear). I returned it with a diplomatic letter and they actually refunded $800.

I then installed the Spec 3 and really liked it. Could full throttle shift it and it's the clutch I was running at Union Grove when I ran the 11.8's in the video over at multimedia. The following spring, I went to Memphis and the spec 3 wouldnt grab. I did a lot of research and went with the Textralia. Installed it and it wouldn't go into gear. I found out that the disc 11 7/8 was hitting the arp bolts/washers they had supplied with the kit. They sent me a complete setup 11.5 and that's what I'm running to this day. Not a lot of pedal pressure, chatter is pretty much non existant and full throttle shifts are there again.

I also had earlier upgraded to the 2002 master cyl and did the "drill mod". The drill mod takes the restriction out of the line to let the fluid recover faster and allows the clutch to hit harder.

I too am running the textrailia. I am running their twin disc exoskell. I have had some problems with it but i believe it to be bad luck. However when the clutch failed I sent it in for repair and textralia rebuilt the clutch for free and paid to ship it back to me. The clutch is awsome it drives like a stock clutch but will easily hold up to the abuse you can throw at it. I am very impressed with the textrailia company and their products.

Comment

Well, if it works for you then it has to work for me since you're probably putting out a couple hundud more rwhp than me.

Comment

Nice to know, I still need to put a clutch in the vette.

http://www.racingclutches.com/produc...=42&cat_key=83

any body heard of this company?

Comment

No, I haven't heard of them. I dunno, you might want to browse over at Corvetteforums or Z06corvetteforums to weed out the bad setups. That's what I did.

I even waited until people had tried the Textralia before I bought mine. I knew they had probs with 'em not going into gear after install and found that some discs were misboxed.

I bought mine through Corvette Specialities in Calif. When I ordered mine I asked them to make sure the RIGHT disc was gonna be shipped. They assured me they'd doublecheck before sending it and I STILL got the wrong one.

I called the US rep and he followed up a number of times as late as midnite and I also got a number of calls from a guy from Textralia (Australia). At first, the guy from Australia implied I had not done the install correctly or I had not bled the clutch properly. After I tried bleeding it by his method without success, they agreed to ship another disc only. I told him that if he didn't ship me the complete assembly, I was going to go buy another Spec and return his because I was not going to keep R&R'ing the tranny.

After all, I found out that the 11 7/8" disc was too big to be used with the ARP bolts/washers because the edge of the disc was catching on the washers. The rep told me I could stay with that size if I used the factory GM bolts. I used the 11 1/2" and no probs since. The Spec was 10 1/2".

Why textralia? Well I read where some of the Aussies were running them in Monaros which are quite a bit heavier than my car and were pounding on them without failures. They were even abusing them by intentionally slipping and still had no probs. Plus they were in the 10's with those heavy beasts.

Comment

I just dont want to be doing clutches every year in the vette. Its a huge pain when you have to drop the whole drivetrain out.

Comment

Totally understand

It appears to be a lot harder than an Fbody

http://www.corvettegarage.com/produc...-corvette.html

http://www.corvettegarage.com/produc...-corvette.html

Comment

I am also running the tex, and also had the larger disk shipped to me. Ever since that was cleared up, the clutch has been awesome.

Comment

Gonna have to make a decision soon, looks like tex may be hte way to go.

Comment

I think so, mine was one of the first batches sold in the US. I am sure the disk size issue is completely cleared up.

Comment

I don't have any experience with the Textralia but I have had good luck with my Street Twin. Very easy to drive with no chattering etc. and they claim:

From McLeod's website:
                      A. McLeod’s Street Twin will hold up to 1000 hp with street tires. If you are going to use slicks, we can change the disc to handle over 1500 hp and still be street-able.

Maybe worth considering for you Dan. You can check it out in my Camaro sometime if you want. It's an LT1 so it's a pull type, but I think it would feel/drive similar.

Todd

Comment

Originally posted by 96HawkCnvt View Post
                        I don't have any experience with the Textralia but I have had good luck with my Street Twin. Very easy to drive with no chattering etc. and they claim:

From McLeod's website:
                        A. McLeod’s Street Twin will hold up to 1000 hp with street tires. If you are going to use slicks, we can change the disc to handle over 1500 hp and still be street-able.

Maybe worth considering for you Dan. You can check it out in my Camaro sometime if you want. It's an LT1 so it's a pull type, but I think it would feel/drive similar.

Todd
                        You have connections and price on these?

Comment

Originally posted by Fotoboy View Post
                          You have connections and price on these?
                          I was really just commenting on my own experience but I will check for you and see what I can do. I can check on the Textralia as well.

Todd

Comment

PM sent...

Comment

got it

Comment

Working...
                              X