Input on rear gear ratio decision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Red Rocket View Post
    Good plan. Also, when converter time comes again spend the extra coin for a custom built unit. Properly spec'd they will all around out perform a shelf converter.
    That's what I've often heard (re converters). What are some of the better companies that I could look into for a custom built one in the future? I hear the Coan name thrown around lots... Also, I'd assume they need the specifics on your drivetrain and intended driving useage as well?

Comment

I use Continental, I don't know what a street converter would cost from them. $1000 gets you a nice race converter ....

You really can't go wrong with a Coan, BTE, ATI, or Hughes (listed in order of preference).

The big thing is to be accurate when giving your info. The better the info you give the converter manufacturer the better they can build one to suit you. They will need weight, gear ratios, tire size, cylinder head data, camshaft data, carb data, pretty much a whole spec sheet for the car.

Comment

Originally posted by ReRod View Post
        That's what I've often heard (re converters). What are some of the better companies that I could look into for a custom built one in the future? I hear the Coan name thrown around lots... Also, I'd assume they need the specifics on your drivetrain and intended driving useage as well?
        I bought a turbo action 8" converter from a guy in new ulm years ago when I went automatic in my car, it was a converter he had built by turbo action for his big block duster, I ran it for one year and sent it in to coan and had it freshened and re stalled, so basically it is now a coan converter, I have sent it in numerous time for freshen up or when I grenade something and they have always been aw some to deal with and only a week turn around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5aBGVPVe0g

Comment

If you think your car will hook equally with the 3.42/shorter tire, I would run that. The larger tire will add rotating mass and hurt acceleration.

Comment

Thanks for the converter info RR and tork. The current will do for the meantime but I'll definitely keep it in mind for down the road!

black z, you raised a good point! I won't know how the car hooks until this spring since the rear isn't in the car yet. Hopefully it digs alright with the new suspension parts, rear, and some stickier drag radials

Comment

What drag radials you thinkn'. Nitto's again or something different?

Comment

I was happy with the Nittos in both sizes on my Camaro. However, if I want to stay with the same size as what I currently have, I'll have to go with some M/T's.

Comment

I was thinking about trying them too. I know Pool Boy didn't have much luck (I think) with them but I'll give them a try. I think they have deeper grooves than the BFG's I had for one summer. A little to much

Comment

Working...
                  X