Setting up gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up gears

Well, since Matt (carnutz) set up my gears, I haven't had a single issue. Other than a slight whine, I'm real pleased with them.

I can't believe how much trouble I had with gear whine after buying my Moser. I now have two extra sets of 4.11s as a result of it.

I always swapped gears in the Chevelle and never had an issue.

Does everybody else set their own up?

I've always set up my own yet don't claim to be an expert at it.

Comment

I had my master tech teacher help me set up some summit 3.73s in my camaro and they whined like fuck and were ruined right out the door. Took them to my buddy Wehner and he got rid of most the whine, but they eventually got worse.

Bought another set of summit 3.73s and had another go with some help, and now I'm starting to see where the gears should contact using paint. Had very minimal whine that time..you had to really listen for it.

Comment

I think the torque arm accents the whine. When you think about it, it bolts right to the pumpkin where the all the noise comes from and transmits it up to the passenger compartment. My Chevelle makes absolutely no noise and it has 4.56s.

Comment

Originally posted by Z28SSMAN View Post
          I think the torque arm accents the whine. When you think about it, it bolts right to the pumpkin where the all the noise comes from and transmits it up to the passenger compartment. My Chevelle makes absolutely no noise and it has 4.56s.
          That makes sense. The gears are sloppy in my rx7 right now...going to have to rip it apart and shim it up.

Comment

I have always done my own gear setups as they are not too hard to do.

Comment

ive done a few. no problems yet!

Comment

Working...
              X