Hornet won't go forward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hornet won't go forward

pulled my hornet out of my garage yesterday and the rear wheels won't go forward. they go in backwards just fine though. this happens in neutral and in gear. in gear and running it does nothing in a forward gear, and moves just fine in reverse. and thoughts guys?

Parking brake stuck?

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyGein View Post
      pulled my hornet out of my garage yesterday and the rear wheels won't go forward. they go in backwards just fine though. this happens in neutral and in gear. in gear and running it does nothing in a forward gear, and moves just fine in reverse. and thoughts guys?
      Hornet as in AMC car? if so maybe the forward clutch pack in the trans is not applying correctly.

Comment

yes, sorry, an AMC hornet

brake was never engaged, but so far i think that's what it is, i'm having trouble getting the nut off to monkey with them

MR.hp- it won't roll forward

Comment

yes, sorry, an AMC hornet

brake was never engaged, but so far i think that's what it is, i'm having trouble getting the nut off to monkey with them

MR.hp- it won't roll forward
          John might be right on this, The car should roll forward or back in neutral.
          You could take out the driveshaft then if it still does not roll then, you could rule out the driveline.

Might be as simple as the shoes stuck to the drums, But it can be a bear to free them up.

Comment

the brakes were all stuck. i got the drum off which wasn't that hard once i was doing it right. one side was pretty bad, the other not so bad. had o'rlys (o'reillys) order the parts, except the $106 drums. be there tues and then i can put it back in the garage

Comment

how the heck do i get the itty bitty hook on the shoe holder into that hole??

Comment

????pic???? not sure what itty bitty hook your talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5aBGVPVe0g

Comment

Needlenose vise grips and a box of Band Aids.

No seriously.. :lol: Which one? The retention studs with the spring and cup or one of the extension springs that hold the shoes to the anchor pin at the top? There are tools to do it, and they aren't that expensive. I linked some helpful tools from Lisles website, but Sears, O'really's, or any auto parts store should have whatever.

http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/p...n=1&category=1

Comment

oops, i posted that on the wrong forum... i was really tired.

i have brake tools, i've done a crap load in the past. but, i've never seen this. there's a little hoop that goes thru the backing plate and it's just a spring that goes thru the center of the shoe with a hook on it. that instead or the pin/srping set up.

the stuff in the bottom right corner

and what am i suppose to do with the hook and wire. never seen that either

Comment

Hmmm... Never seen those before either. Maybe there's enough room to go thru the clip's hole with a hooked pick and hook the spring, pull it thru, and hook the clip on?

The hook and wire is part of the auto adjust feature on the shoes. The eyelet goes around the anchor pin, the cable slides and pivots around the apparatus second down on the left in your picture, and hooks into the adjustment arm second down, second in from the top left. The proper springs will hold those pieces in place.

I searched a little and came up with this- it should help with the cable, it's for an Explorer, but the concept remains the same. Your basic Bendix drum brake system that's been around forever.

http://www.theymightberacing.com/Mai...rer93Rear.aspx

Comment

ah, ok. now i remember. the brakes didn't have any of that stuff when i took them off, just the shoes, springs, and adjuster.

as for the retainer, the AMC forum says to use a flat head and go thru the center of the spring. i'll see how that goes....

Comment

lol, again, oce i was doing it right it was easy. i used an allen wrench and it was a cinch

Comment

Working...
                          X