T-10 Crash Box question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-10 Crash Box question

Ok, I'm not to sure what they did yet but I thought I would ask if any of you guys have done this. The car I just got has a T-10 4speed that they turned into a crashbox for drag racing. I'm thinking they just took out the syncros but I'm not sure yet. Will have to wait until Spring to pull it and look inside.

It shifts so easy up thru the gears but almost impossible to down shift. I can double clutch it and get from 4th to 3rd but anything else the car needs to be stopped. Not to good for a street car. lol

Any info would be helpful even thou I haven't been in it yet.

John

Originally posted by tcat55371 View Post
    Ok, I'm not to sure what they did yet but I thought I would ask if any of you guys have done this. The car I just got has a T-10 4speed that they turned into a crashbox for drag racing. I'm thinking they just took out the syncros but I'm not sure yet. Will have to wait until Spring to pull it and look inside.

It shifts so easy up thru the gears but almost impossible to down shift. I can double clutch it and get from 4th to 3rd but anything else the car needs to be stopped. Not to good for a street car. lol

Any info would be helpful even thou I haven't been in it yet.

John
    John, One of my good freinds had one of those in the late 80's in his 68 Camaro. It was Liberty trans setup like the one you have, He said that the only gear you can down shift to is 1st otherwise you can damage the trans.

Might be better to get a Super T-10 street trans and sell the one you have. Too bad I just sold the mint cond. one I had this past fall to a guy.

It is pretty easy to replace the gear set in those old tranys though.

Comment

I called Honest Charlie's out East and the guy I talked to said he doesnt remember ever having a T-10 crashbox that they sold and he has been there a long time. I think the guy I got it from didnt really know what it was and was just talking.

I can double clutch and get from 4th to 3rd but nothing lower without stopping the car. Sure bangs up thru the gears nice thou. :)

Guess what it comes down to is I have to pull it and look inside. If it didnt cost so much to switch I'd got to an auto.

John
      Last edited by tcat55371; 04-03-2012, 10:43 AM. Reason: .

Comment

Well

pulled the T-10 out on Saturday. Linkage on shifter was a little off and thats adjusted now out of the car. 2nd gear needs to be replaced due to worn teeth, guess thats why it was coming out when you let off the gas. Syncros look fine and the sliders are fine too and move easy. Next steo is to split the case I guess and replace 2nd gear. Dont see any reason why the car wouldn't downshift.

John

Comment

Apart

I have the trans out of the car and it wasnt made into a crashbox. Only thing I can see wrong is second gear teeth are wore and thats why it comes out of second when letting off the gas. The syncros look ok and nothing has been modded inside. It's all spread out on my bench. lol Hope by the time the gear and rebuild kit gets here I can remember how to put it back together.

I put the shifter back on the trans when I took it out and 3rd/4th linkage was rubbing reverse linking and moving it so I'm hoping thats why it wont down shift.

Getting closer to being on the road again.

Comment

That's pretty interesting. I've never worked on one. I think Bob has done a gazillion of em. I know there's gotta be a trick to get the cluster gear back in along with the roller bearings.

Comment

I had to use the neighbors press to get the speedo gear off so now I can pull the back plate and get the big bearing out. All I have is an exploded picture that I'm working off and the cluster gears with all the needle bearings looks like a pain in the butt. Pretty sure I'm just going to leave that alone and just replace the parts on the main shaft when the kit gets here. I replaced syncros in my old 57 Chevy but I was in my 20's then. Things move a lot slower when you in your 50's it seems. lol

Comment

Ok

So it's not a crashbox. Looks like normal wear and tear except for second gear. I got a new one and put everything back together. Hooked the shifter up to it on the bench and reajusted linkages. Now all I need to do is get the lazyboy out, set the trans next to it and bench race. lol

Comment

Working...
                X