G-body guys: Question for ya...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G-body guys: Question for ya...

What are the G-body guys on here doing for rear suspension? I picked up UMI tubular upper and lowers (non-adjustable) to put on with my GN 8.5" this spring. I also have the stock GN rear sway bar or a 1" Suspension Techniques sway bar that I can put on.

Does this sound like a decent set-up for a car that will see mostly street time? Think it will hook alright with some drag radials?

Also, any input on shocks (rear) would be appreciated as well since there's just plain stockers in there right now.

Thanks

forget that idea and give me all the pieces
    anyway, that setup sounds pretty good, wish i had all of those components....

my dad swears by his wtf were they called... i think control arm connectors? anyhow they connect the upper and lowers together at the forward mounts, and that car hooks like crazy with the stock 442 rear with a locker and factory swaybar. im pretty sure he boxed the lowers as well, with 90/10 shocks in the front and idk what shocks in the back

there was a shock and spring debate on oldspower.com not too long ago, or try turbobuick.com, realoldspower.com (super slooow, but good info) or something of that nature and there should be some good info

-Aaron
    87 cutlass
    76 olds 350/t56 3.73's
    87 olds 442 - old mans ride
    355 sbc, th200-4r, 3.73's

Comment

Originally posted by smooth_358 View Post
      forget that idea and give me all the pieces
      anyway, that setup sounds pretty good, wish i had all of those components....
      I could sell you whichever sway bar I don't use for cheap.

my dad swears by his wtf were they called... i think control arm connectors? anyhow they connect the upper and lowers together at the forward mounts, and that car hooks like crazy with the stock 442 rear with a locker and factory swaybar. im pretty sure he boxed the lowers as well, with 90/10 shocks in the front and idk what shocks in the back

there was a shock and spring debate on oldspower.com not too long ago, or try turbobuick.com, realoldspower.com (super slooow, but good info) or something of that nature and there should be some good info
      I've been reading around on MalibuRacing.com and MalibuThunder.com about this quite a bit. I guess I'm just looking to see what works for some of the local guys

Comment

my dads 442 is in princeton, so i guess i considered it local?
        i have to get the drivetrain in mine first before i get myself indulged in the fun of suspension work

-Aaron
        87 cutlass
        76 olds 350/t56 3.73's

Comment

Just a little miscommunication... No worries

How often does your dad drive his on the street?

Comment

he used to all the time and never even brought it to the track, even though there wasn't a single person balsy enough to race him when we would go out cruising over the last couple of years..

but, lately not very much because he overbuilt it, my uncle put a very stoutly built n/a 4 bolt 350 .030 over in there. my uncle ran low 12s with his car and said my dads cutlass was faster than his car ,,now he is selling it...but i guess thats how it goes.. usually takes it out a few times a month, but hes getting older and doesnt want a track oriented vehicle anymore that you have to put in neutral at every stop.

they estimated mid 11s N/A out of it and before he put the control arm reinforcements and connectors in it wanted to pull in either direction, now that thing launches crazy

however he is buying a new challenger when he sells it so he has something a little more tame for the street.

dont be surprised if you see an older guy in a challenger racing around up there all time this summer

-Aaron
            87 cutlass
            76 olds 350/t56 3.73's

Comment

Sounds nice! I can relate to not wanting a "track oriented vehicle". That's one of the reasons that I didn't buy an anti-roll bar as of yet. I want to see how it does with what I've got so far.

Comment

it is nice, even though im sort of a purist and he put a chevy in a 442, but besides that every time im at his place and it gets started up it just makes my car a little bit more depressed because nowhere in the near future would i have the money or horseponies into it that he has in his

-Aaron
                87 cutlass
                76 olds 350/t56 3.73's

Comment

But your 6-spd G-body is going to be cool as hell in its own way Can't wait to check that out someday:cool:

Comment

All the other G-body guys must have ultra-secret set-ups

Comment

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/swaybars/XSB006.jpg

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/G-Body.htm

go with this anti roll bar, use adjustable uppers, and box your lowers or just buy them from bmr and you will be set. This is not just an anti sway bar, this is 1 3/8 inch bar, it will eliminate body roll and keep both tires planted the same.

"The factory optional rear swaybar works pretty good for handling but falls short when it comes to drag racing. There are two main reasons for this. One, the OE bar diameters are nowhere near large enough to control torque loading on a launch. And second, the OE-type bar only attaches to the control arms with no frame attachment points allowing too much body separation and no way to control it. By attaching the endlinks to the frame, body separation is eliminated and transferred to forward momentum. This combined with the large diameter bar's ability to better control torque loading creates more consistent and predictable launches and better 60 ft/times. Provided with all necessary Grade 8 mounting hardware."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5aBGVPVe0g

Comment

My rear is stock except for an ATR bar that makes the stocker look like a coat hanger. You might want to look into some air bags. If you load the passenger side with 20-28lbs. it'll make it launch more even and consistent.

Comment

http://www.hrpartsandstuff.com/

Comment

Originally posted by torkflight View Post
                            http://www.bmrfabrication.com/swaybars/XSB006.jpg

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/G-Body.htm

go with this anti roll bar, use adjustable uppers, and box your lowers or just buy them from bmr and you will be set. This is not just an anti sway bar, this is 1 3/8 inch bar, it will eliminate body roll and keep both tires planted the same.

"The factory optional rear swaybar works pretty good for handling but falls short when it comes to drag racing. There are two main reasons for this. One, the OE bar diameters are nowhere near large enough to control torque loading on a launch. And second, the OE-type bar only attaches to the control arms with no frame attachment points allowing too much body separation and no way to control it. By attaching the endlinks to the frame, body separation is eliminated and transferred to forward momentum. This combined with the large diameter bar's ability to better control torque loading creates more consistent and predictable launches and better 60 ft/times. Provided with all necessary Grade 8 mounting hardware."
                            Looks very similar to the HRpartsNstuff anti-roll bar that I've been eyeing for quite a while. Theirs is 1/4" wall 1.25" O.D. 4130 chromoly seamless tubing though so there's a little difference.

I also had looked at adjustable uppers but worried about the jamb nuts (?) working loose? Is that pretty uncommon and just a paranoid thought of mine?

Comment

Originally posted by ReRod View Post
                              Looks very similar to the HRpartsNstuff anti-roll bar that I've been eyeing for quite a while. Theirs is 1/4" wall 1.25" O.D. 4130 chromoly seamless tubing though so there's a little difference.

I also had looked at adjustable uppers but worried about the jamb nuts (?) working loose? Is that pretty uncommon and just a paranoid thought of mine?
                              I wouldnt worry about that

Comment

Working...
                              X