Turbo 400 or Powerglide?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo 400 or Powerglide?

I know...I know...everybody says the TH400 takes a lot more hp to run compared to a PG, but in my opinion, if I'm gonna run an automatic, I gotta shift at least twice.

I guess I grew up with powerslides and hated the sound of them slipping between gear changes. You know...the sound like somebody getting their nuts pinched. lol

M22 rock-crusher

Comment

lol

Comment

I ve had both, even though the pg takes less to drive bit you lose your deep 1st as you know so it kind negates the power gain. You need to be under 3000 lb and over 500 whp to make it work. I for one agree that a even one more shift makes all the difference in the world.

Comment

Powerglide for consistancy and settling the car down. T-400 for out of the hole and reliability. Do not for get the T-350 as they can now be built almost as strong as a 400.

Comment

Originally posted by Fotoboy View Post
            I ve had both, even though the pg takes less to drive bit you lose your deep 1st as you know so it kind negates the power gain. You need to be under 3000 lb and over 500 whp to make it work. I for one agree that a even one more shift makes all the difference in the world.
            I will tell you one thing Dan, A glide in your car on the street with all the power you will be making would be killer as it would make the car hook better and at the track I am willing to bet it would be as quick or quicker that the same car as one with a t-400. My camaro at one time with a p/g was 2ths. quicker than the 400 but I broke the convrt. but that could happen on any trans.

Comment

Originally posted by 602hp View Post
              I will tell you one thing Dan, A glide in your car on the street with all the power you will be making would be killer as it would make the car hook better and at the track I am willing to bet it would be as quick or quicker that the same car as one with a t-400. My camaro at one time with a p/g was 2ths. quicker than the 400 but I broke the convrt. but that could happen on any trans.
              Im sure your gonna be right but pg are boring to me. On the flip side my buddy sold a sub 3000 lb car w a built 406 sbc and spray w a glide, when he sold it, the new guy that bought it put a high buck tb350 in it and went the same times. I def could see the car getting faster wo the pig 400 but remember my car will weigh about 3800 w me in it so the 400 might still be a better choice still.

Comment

You are right the p/g is one boaring ride leaves time to eat more burgers:lol:

Comment

Built 700r4 Ftw!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

i have a TH-375 in my nova.

anyone confused yet?

Comment

I used to sell tranny filters for those. The th350 filter was square and the th375 was larger with one edge cut at an angle. Not sure about what the internal differences were.

This link shows how much abuse a type 300 can take. This Olds had a 2-speed automatic but the tranny wasn't called a PG.
                      http://www.twincityoutlaws.com/showthread.php?t=46

Comment

I always ran out on the top end with PG cars or you loose coming out of the hole to get the top end. It is especially a bitch with Big Block cars IMO, but then I'm no racing guru either. Also a PG gets costly to build up right when you can pickup a stock th400, basically put in some decent clutches and steels and a race sprag and have very few issues if you are a foot brake car like many folks are.

Comment

Out of the hole is the funnest part about these cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Z28SSMAN View Post
                            I used to sell tranny filters for those. The th350 filter was square and the th375 was larger with one edge cut at an angle. Not sure about what the internal differences were.

This link shows how much abuse a type 300 can take. This Olds had a 2-speed automatic but the tranny wasn't called a PG.
                            http://www.twincityoutlaws.com/showthread.php?t=46
                            Thet were called super turbine 300's that's what came stock in my firebird with the 6 cyl cars

Comment

lol

neutral-drive-neutral-drive....

Comment

Working...
                              X