Getting a set of Sq. Port heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a set of Sq. Port heads

I am going to trade some Old Closed chambered heads I have for a set of 880 Sq. port heads (same as the old 990's) and I am thinking of doing a pump gas 540 or larger BB Chev for the camaro. Race fuel is going to be big buck this year and I like to go fast. This will not cost me that much and I am looing at getting rid of my 406 to fund this project. I ran 11.90 @114 with the little 358 flat top motor so I think 10's will be easy with a 540 or bigger.

Got the heads, Intakes and dominator carbs. So a good shortblock should not set me back too much.

Buy the pro 1 for the bbc, I picked up 33 rwhp an over 100 rwtq over my 880's

Comment

I thought Mr. Hp didn't like square port heads?

Comment

Originally posted by old vette dog View Post
        I would but these are free. Besides when I get dome porting them I sohould be able to pick up a few hp's.

Comment

Originally posted by Z28SSMAN View Post
          I thought Mr. Hp didn't like square port heads?
          I don't but for what I am trading I cannot turn them down, Besides a 540 needs a little help now and then.

Comment

Made a mistake these heads that I now have are 188's 990 replacements

Comment

Lol opps that's also what I had lol

Comment

Lol opps that's also what I had lol
                Was told by a freind who had some of these, He said a bowl clean up and a good 3 angle valve job really helps these heads out big time. So for free I can't loose, I already have a grinder and seat and valve machine to do this.

Comment

sounds like a win win

Comment

sounds like a win win
                    Just talked with a guy who has a 10.1 496 sq. port engine in a nova tha the shifts at 5500rpm and has king of a mild setup and runs 9.90's all day with it.
                    He told me to save my money and do a 496 and my camaro should run low 10's all day.

Could be done as I do have a 4 bolt block that need a bore job. Humm....

Comment

what size bbc you have now? I shifted my Maro at 5600 but never got better than 11.20 on pooch 8 to 1 502

Comment

what size bbc you have now? I shifted my Maro at 5600 but never got better than 11.20 on pooch 8 to 1 502

468, But it's only a 9 to 1 engine. If it were a 12.1 or better than the Sq. Ports would work. I am now looking at a 496 rotating assy that has good parts and 10.25 comp. and I think I could copy Lingenfelders 496 parts list and have a good combo. John Made 660hp with a Sq. port head engine with a 1050 dominator and street roller cam.

Comment

You guys will like this, The dude that traded me heads now wants his 188's back. Seems he said his builder told him he cannot use hardened seats on the 802's. I said Bullshit, you do not need that stuff. So basically I pulled the 802 heads off my 461, ruined the gaskets, did a valve job and spent a week doing this and I was suppost to give them back. I said no way. I am going to build a big cube BB Chev and the heads were the key.

Comment

Lol

Comment

Want to sell the heads if you don't use them, have a friend who needs some square port heads.

Comment

Working...
                              X