Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't argue with Joe's logic and data

Comment

An S2000 would be one of the few imports I would like to own. In a hard top of course. The short course at bir would kick ass!!
      5.55@126
      8.67@155
      www.tntraceshop.com

Comment

Originally posted by shagwag View Post
        An S2000 would be one of the few imports I would like to own. In a hard top of course. The short course at bir would kick ass!!
        I'd own one. I'm sure I'd have to learn how to use the powerband, as I tend to drive cars with lots of low-end & mid-range torque.

Another import I'd own is the Genesis Coupe 3.8. Muscle-car straight-line performance, sports-car handling, and luxury-car fit & finish.

My sister bought a 3.8 Touring a couple years ago, and she absolutely loves it. I've put it through its paces, and it does have excellent handling. Neutral through the corners, decent road-feel through the steering wheel, and no bad manners to speak of. It simply goes where you point it. Turn off the stability-control, and you can throttle-steer to your heart's content! It weighs 3,389 pounds wet, and does 0-60 in ~5.4 sec. The chassis is more rigid than the M3's. She drag-raced it against my GTP. I pulled ahead for a split-second, and then she left me in the dust. And that was the first time my sister had ever drag-raced anything.

She drives it year-round with no problems - even with those huge 19" rims. Of course, she switches to performance snow tires in the winter.

It's really funny to me, because my sister has always driven slow, poor-handling cars. A '72 Chevy Vega, a '73 Thunderbird, a late-70s Volare 318, a few base-model Corollas & Civics, an Accord 4-banger - stuff like that. And all this time, she has been a closet corner-carver - but she just didn't know it yet.

It was interesting listening to her explain what she hated about her Accord. She didn't know the word, but what she was saying told me that she really hates understeer. Then she said that she'd been trying out some cars, and that she really liked the RX8, G35, G37, and such. The Camaro felt too heavy, and the Mustang felt too cheap (her words). The common thread was that all of the cars she liked were rear-drive, corner-carving luxury cars! But her 6' 4" hubby couldn't fit in the RX8, she didn't want to spend enough to go for the G37, and she didn't want a used G35. So I suggested that she try the Genesis Coupe V6. She fell in love with it immediately. She used to always take the Interstates on trips. Now, she takes the back roads so she can have fun in the twisties. At 65 yrs old, she just figured out that she likes to drive corner-carving hot-rods.

Joel
        There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

Comment

Originally posted by Z28SSMAN View Post
          Can't argue with Joe's logic and data
          Thanks!

I usually choose to drive US brands, and I love big-engined muscle - but it irks me when someone says a car is slow - simply because it's a Honda. Many of those same people were literally gushing over the performance of that Z28 & the Bullitt Mustang when they hit the showroom floor. But 0-60 in the mid-5s & high-13s in the quarter somehow becomes slow when it's a Honda.

Any production car that can pull off a 13-sec quarter in bone-stock trim is, by definition, a quick car. Put the performance of all current mass-produced passenger cars on a bell-curve, and I'll bet that a 13.8 sec quarter or a 0-60 time of 5.4 sec would be quicker than 99% of whatever is on the road.

Joel
          There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. - Frank Zappa

Comment

Working...
          X