No announcement yet.

More Tundra issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for tha accolades Glen. I feel that I don't deserve them. I fully understand your position, and know that you don't hold any ill will towards me for my choice in trucks. I hope to be more involved in the whole car scene this year than in the recent past few years. I'm looking forward to seeing you around. I like the site and hope I can contribute a little here and there as my limited experience allows. Thanks again for your generous praise and opinion of me. I'll try to live up to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Z28SSMAN View Post
      Well if Tom is happy with his truck then good for him.

There are many trucks from GM that will tow 10,000 lbs.

Toyota's 381 hp engine is definitely a strong runner. The people I've talked to are getting 12 mpg and that's with a 6-speed automatic transmission. Toyota has admitted that this engine has had a number of camshaft failures, but refuses to recall them. They basically have indicated that they'll wait until they fail and then warranty them.

Here's a note from Tundra news...
      Meanwhile, Levine also tracked down a consultant who confirms the estimate we originally reported that it will cost $5,000 to swap out each engine that experiences a failed camshaft. Toyota will certainly pay the estimated $100,000 to repair the 20 trucks already known to have experienced a camshaft failure, but the looming question that's yet to be answered is how many more trucks might need to have their engine replaced? Toyota Spokesperson Bill Kwong told Levine, "Our dealers have approximately 1,600 new Tundras nationwide for disposal as a loaner vehicle while a customer's truck is being repaired, and that doesn't include older Tundras and Tacomas." While meant more as an assurance that the company will do whatever it can to help out customers who find themselves with an affected engine, that statement also implies Toyota is at least prepared for the number to grow.

Doesn't give a guy a lot of confidence when you're out in the middle of nowhere and have a camshaft failure. Add that to the fact that there are a fraction of dealers (in comparison to GM) to help you when/if a failure occurs. On top of that, you only get a 60,000 mi powertrain warranty (unless they are going to extend that due to the known cam failures)

GMC has a 403 HP engine in their lineup and an overall better designed truck...anyone that knows anything about trucks wouldn't dispute that. Toyota may have a great sales history with their car line, but they are not even in GM or Ford's league when it comes to full size trucks. Plus...the Tundras are probably the ugliest trucks I've ever seen.
      manufactuars only recall for saftey issues by the way. also toyota is the number 2 car manufacturer in the world. we've never seen a problem with the camshafts at denny hecker toyota. so its not very common... honestly 20 trucks is nothing

Comment

Working...
      X