No announcement yet.

Firechicken gets a 6 speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am totally pissed off, The 6 speed grinds in 3rd and 4th. Now I got to take the trans apart and rebuild it. I do have another out of a GTO but I am not sure what's wrond other than the parts I put in it 5th, 6th and reverse gears. I guess I could toss it in and see what happens while I get the other one done. This just blows and winter will be here soon. I give up on cars, They suck.

Comment

Originally posted by MR.hp View Post
      I am totally pissed off, The 6 speed grinds in 3rd and 4th. Now I got to take the trans apart and rebuild it. I do have another out of a GTO but I am not sure what's wrond other than the parts I put in it 5th, 6th and reverse gears. I guess I could toss it in and see what happens while I get the other one done. This just blows and winter will be here soon. I give up on cars, They suck.
      Well that sucks

Comment

It's alive

And everything works great, 2nd is a little touchy but I can fix that later.
        Sure did not need the 4.10s with the 2.97 low gear. It sure blew the tires off when 301hp and I went for the first test run.

I like 6 speeds.

Comment

That's good news. Yeah, that 6-speed will take a little getting used to when you compare its 1st gear vs the TH-400

Comment

Made some new exhaust for the car today. The cutouts have to be eliminated due to the rear mount for the T-56, But I will place them in a new spot farther back.

Comment

Exhaust is done, New SSM lift bars are on the car and the 3.55's are back in.

Comment

I know this is an old thread but after the car sitting for a few years I finally got to take it out today. The car runs great, but 2nd gear has some problems with the syncro so I guess the 6 speed will need to come out again for a repair. I will most likely rebuild both of my transmissions as the other one needs some blocker rings and a 3-4 fork. The car has enough power to blow the tires away in the first 2 gears now which surprised me as with the t-400 it was less then stellar. I did like the closer ratio of the Camaro 6spd. over the wide 2.97 low GTO trans and the car just cruises along in 6th at just over 1650 rpm. Better to fix the problems before it gets worse.

Comment

Too bad about the syncros. Just jam the gears like Sloss used to. Doubt he used the clutch sometimes.

Comment

My T56 is popping out of reverse now. Everything else seems fine, but it has a lot of hard miles on it so it should probably come out for a rebuild.

I was hoping to do an LS swap and get a new T56 at the same time, but the funds aren't there right now.

Randy
                    www.NorthstarDetailSupply.com
                    Green four door Chevy

Comment

Originally posted by HAULNSS View Post
                      My T56 is popping out of reverse now. Everything else seems fine, but it has a lot of hard miles on it so it should probably come out for a rebuild.

I was hoping to do an LS swap and get a new T56 at the same time, but the funds aren't there right now.

Randy
                      Reverse is easy to fix, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd suck to do.

Comment

my reverse synco's in mine grind occasionally if I don't hold the clutch in long enough. maybe one day i'll have time to check it out. I need to get a shifter though. 2-3 shift is sloppy with the stock shifter I have

-Aaron
                        87 cutlass
                        76 olds 350/t56 3.73's
                        87 olds 442 - old mans ride
                        355 sbc, th200-4r, 3.73's

Comment

Originally posted by smooth_358 View Post
                          my reverse synco's in mine grind occasionally if I don't hold the clutch in long enough. maybe one day i'll have time to check it out. I need to get a shifter though. 2-3 shift is sloppy with the stock shifter I have

I do have an extra factory shifter you can have if you don't buy one. Like I posted to Randy, reverse is a pretty easy repair, the blocker ring is brass on reverse and is in the back where the gears are easy to get at. I have a 98 T56 that has a bent 3-4 fork and reverse is bad on that trans also so I will get the parts to fix it then pull the GTO trans out and put the Camaro one in. I am still not sure if I like the deep 1st gear trans anyway, but it sure makes smoking the tires a lot easier.:dragster:

Comment

the one I have is out of an lt car, I want to say it was a 94. not sure which ratio's it is anymore. been years since I looked it up.

-Aaron
                            87 cutlass
                            76 olds 350/t56 3.73's
                            87 olds 442 - old mans ride
                            355 sbc, th200-4r, 3.73's

Comment

The only LT1 T56 that had a lower 1st. gear was a early 93 other wise all of Camaro transmissions has a 2.66 low gear. There is a kit that you can get now for $300 and some odd change that will let you make it an LS1 trans. I suspect that one could just swap the front plate and input shaft from an LS trans and get the same result. If I could get an LT1 trans cheap I would try it.

Comment

Working...
                              X